Does strain rate ever decrease yield stress?

In summary, the yield stress of a material does not always decrease with a decrease in strain rate. Various factors such as temperature, microstructure, and strain hardening can affect the relationship between strain rate and yield stress. Strain rate can also impact the overall strength and mechanical properties of a material. While there is no specific maximum limit, there is usually a limit to how much the yield stress can decrease with an increase in strain rate.
bryony88
I've been digging through literature the last few days, and I'm starting to wonder if increasing strain rate EVER decreases yield stress? I found anomalies which increase it with increasing temperature. But I cant' find the reverse, so I was wondering if it was possible?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fig. 7c is one example. You'll find many more if you do a search for "yield strength"+"negative strain rate sensitivity".

1. Does the yield stress of a material always decrease with a decrease in strain rate?

No, the yield stress of a material does not always decrease with a decrease in strain rate. In some materials, the yield stress may remain constant or even increase with a decrease in strain rate.

2. What factors can affect the relationship between strain rate and yield stress?

The relationship between strain rate and yield stress can be affected by various factors such as temperature, microstructure, and strain hardening of the material.

3. Can strain rate affect the overall strength of a material?

Yes, strain rate can affect the overall strength of a material. A higher strain rate can lead to an increase in the strength of some materials, while a lower strain rate may result in a decrease in strength.

4. How does strain rate affect the mechanical properties of a material?

Strain rate can significantly influence the mechanical properties of a material, such as yield stress, tensile strength, and ductility. Different strain rates can result in different material behaviors, making it an essential factor to consider in material design and testing.

5. Is there a maximum strain rate at which the yield stress of a material can decrease?

It is difficult to determine a maximum strain rate at which the yield stress of a material can decrease as it can vary depending on the material's properties. However, in most cases, there is a limit to how much the yield stress can decrease with an increase in strain rate.