Does the 0.5 Nm rating for a geared DC motor apply before or after the gearbox?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mechapeno
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone

For a project I'm currently working on, I need a dc motor which can generate a torque of about 0.1-0.2 Nm (or more) with a rpm of about 120-200.

http://uk.farnell.com/crouzet/82861015/motor-geared-24vdc-430rpm/dp/3115616?Ntt=CROUZET+-+82861015.+-+MOTOR%2C+GEARED%2C+24VDC%2C+430RPM

The geared motor of the above link, (data sheet: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/30394.pdf) looks promising at first sight, but when you browse some more on farnell.com, you encounter a lot of these 'Crouzet' motors which are priced equally, have the same torque, but different rotational speed.

So, I was wondering: is this 0.5Nm torque the torque the motor delivers as input to the gearbox (so the output torque - after the gearbox has done it's job - is higher/lower) or is this really the applicable torque and rpm for the motor?

Thanks in advance!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
When people quote numbers for devices like that, they almost always are the "rated" numbers. Rated usually, but not necessarily means maximum.