Does the acceleration of free fall take air resistance into account?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Andy21
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Does the acceleration of free fall take the effect of air resistance into account or is it equal to the acceleration of free fall on Earth if the Earth was in a vacuum?

Thanks

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it doesn't and that the acceleration of free fall is assuming the Earth was in a vacuum. I wanted to check.
 
I think it's a matter of definition and that in physics free fall refers to motion under the force of gravity only.With most real problems air resistance is present and free fall often refers to events like sky diving and parachuting.I think it's time to get the dictionary out.