Does the current increase or decrease through the resistor ?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a circuit schematic and two possible answers. The person is unsure about which answer is correct and is seeking clarification. They eventually realize their mistake and thank the other person for their help.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

resistance.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This looks to be a simple problem but the answer key has left me wondering whether I am thinking correctly .

I get option 1) whereas answer key states option 3) .

Since the variable resistance R increases , the resistance across the parallel branch (R2+R) increases .This leads to a higher voltage drop across R1 .As a result current increases in R1 .

Since the overall current from the battery decreases and current through R1 increases , current through R2 decreases .

I am getting option 1) . Is that right ?

Attachments

• resistance.jpg
    resistance.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,704
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
Since the variable resistance R increases ...
Look at the circuit schematic carefully. If the slider is all the way to point A, what path does the current from A to B take?

Likes Jahnavi
Just after I had posted this , I realized the mistake . I should have been more careful .

Thanks !

1. What is the relationship between current and resistance in a resistor?

The relationship between current and resistance in a resistor is described by Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is directly proportional to voltage (V) and inversely proportional to resistance (R). This means that as resistance increases, current decreases and vice versa.

2. How does the current change when the resistance of a resistor is increased?

If the resistance of a resistor is increased, the current will decrease. This is because the higher resistance will impede the flow of electrons, resulting in a lower current.

3. What happens to the current when the resistance of a resistor is decreased?

When the resistance of a resistor is decreased, the current will increase. This is because the lower resistance allows for a greater flow of electrons, resulting in a higher current.

4. Is there a limit to how much the current can increase or decrease in a resistor?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the current can increase or decrease in a resistor. This limit is determined by the resistance of the resistor and the voltage applied. In some cases, the resistance may be too high for any current to flow, resulting in no current at all.

5. How does the material of a resistor affect the current?

The material of a resistor can affect the current by changing the resistance. Materials with higher resistivity, such as carbon or ceramic, will have a higher resistance and therefore a lower current. Materials with lower resistivity, such as copper or silver, will have a lower resistance and a higher current. This is why different materials are used for different types of resistors depending on the desired level of resistance.