Does the inverse of this special matrix have a power series expansion?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter srz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
srz
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi...can anyone please suggest whether the following inverse has a power series expansion
[tex](I+\delta A)^{-1}[/tex]
where [tex]\delta[/tex] is a constant and [tex]A =[/tex]
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} T & T-1 & T-2 &... & 3 & 2 & 1\\ T-1 & T-1 & T-2 & ... & 3 & 2 & 1 \\ .. \\2 & 2 & 2 &... & 2 & 2 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 & ... & 1 & 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. Is it true that [tex]det|I+A|=1+trace(A)+det|A|[/tex]? If not then is there any general expression for [tex]det|I+A|[/tex]
 
For the inverse, you've got ##(I+\delta A)^{-1}=I-\delta A+(\delta A)^2-(\delta A)^3+\ldots##. It should converge if ##\vert\delta A\vert<1##.

Polynomials and rational functions of a single matrix behave very similarly to the single real variable case.