Does the normal always equal weight, if on a non-inclined plane?

In summary, the normal force does not always equal the weight, even on non-inclined planes. This is because other forces, such as a force applied at an angle, can affect the normal force and cause it to be different from the weight.
kathyt.25

Homework Statement

Does the normal always equal the weight, if on a non-inclined plane?

This is just a general question that I have about normal and weight forces... I was wondering because when I'm breaking up the net forces into components, I was wondering if I should always include the normal and weight, even if its on a non-inclined plane.

Essentially, I'm asking, does the normal=weight on a non-inclined plane if the plane IS NOT frictionless? If the normal=weight, then why do I still need to include it in the sum of the components on the y-axis?

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Doesn't require a solution, its just a conceptual question

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the normal force does not always just equal the weight, even on non-inclined planes. Suppose you have a problem where a person is pulling on a box with a rope that is angled at 45 degrees above the horizontal. While the box is not on an inclined plane, the normal force will not in this instance equal the weight. Hopefully this makes sense.

jgens said:
No, the normal force does not always just equal the weight, even on non-inclined planes. Suppose you have a problem where a person is pulling on a box with a rope that is angled at 45 degrees above the horizontal. While the box is not on an inclined plane, the normal force will not in this instance equal the weight. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks, that really helps a lot. It also really makes sense, because if the normal=weight even if there was a force applied at an angle to the horizontal, that means that an additional force would be added onto the y-component... and if the normal=weight, then there's nothing to cancel out that vertical force, and the object would accelerate vertically.

Correct!

1. Does the normal force always equal the weight of an object on a non-inclined plane?

No, the normal force and weight are two different forces. The weight of an object is the force of gravity acting on it, while the normal force is the force exerted by the surface an object is resting on.

2. When does the normal force equal the weight of an object on a non-inclined plane?

The normal force will equal the weight of an object on a non-inclined plane when the surface the object is resting on is perpendicular to the direction of gravity. This means that the surface is completely flat and not tilted in any way.

3. What happens to the normal force if an object is placed on an inclined plane?

The normal force will decrease as the angle of inclination of the plane increases. This is because a component of the weight of the object is acting parallel to the surface of the inclined plane, reducing the force required from the surface to balance the weight.

4. Can the normal force ever be greater than the weight of an object?

No, the normal force can never be greater than the weight of an object. The normal force is always equal to the force required to balance the weight of an object on a surface.

5. How does the normal force affect the motion of an object on a non-inclined plane?

The normal force does not affect the motion of an object on a non-inclined plane as it acts perpendicular to the direction of motion. It only ensures that the object remains in contact with the surface and does not accelerate downward due to the force of gravity.