Does the open area of my window make a difference?

In summary: I can apply it to my situation.In summary, if you have a small window that is only open a little bit, you won't let in as much cold air as if the window was open all the way. However, if your window is bigger, the cold air will flow in faster.
Fodder
So I was wondering whether the amount of open area of my window would make a difference in how much cold air gets in?

Please tell me if I should provide more information, I'm pretty new to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely. If your window is 3 feet wide and you open it by 2 inches, you won't let in nearly as much air as you would if you opened it by 2 feet.

Fodder said:
So I was wondering whether the amount of open area of my window would make a difference in how much cold air gets in?

Please tell me if I should provide more information, I'm pretty new to this.
Well, let's take extremes and see what YOU think. Two scenarios: (1) You have a REALLY small opening. Second, you have a REALLY big window and it is all the way open.

What you do you expect to happen?

Hi and welcome to PF,

As long as you have another window/s open and there is air flow in the house/room, the flow of air into the house/room is approximately proportional to the surface area of the open window (u=QA, u: velocity of air, Q: volumetric flow of air, A: surface area of the open window.

If the other windows and doors are all closed, then some warm air from inside the house will go out of the window, but again the flow of air into the house/room will be proportional to the surface area of the opening.

3-Tilt-Turn-Windows-ALUM1.jpg

My window looks like this, and the thing is I was wondering if I opened the one on the right to the max would it make a difference from opening it to the one on the middle

Attachments

• 3-Tilt-Turn-Windows-ALUM1.jpg
    3-Tilt-Turn-Windows-ALUM1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 502
phinds said:
Well, let's take extremes and see what YOU think. Two scenarios: (1) You have a REALLY small opening. Second, you have a REALLY big window and it is all the way open.

What you do you expect to happen?
I would most likely choose the second one, but would it make a difference if my window was half open or fully open? like does it make the room colder if I choose the fully open one? ( Please watch the picture for reference, also thanks for commenting I thought nobody would answer this)

In this case, it has to do with the open surface area and the direction of the air.

Generally, in the middle window, the volumetric flow will be less (if you have the same opening area with the third window), because the molecules of air will be scattered in a bigger extent and most of them will return outside the house.

Anyway, if you let the window open for much time, the room temperature will be equal to Tout. However, the faster way to reach Tout is the third window (this way of opening).

DoItForYourself said:
In this case, it has to do with the open surface area and the direction of the air.

Generally, in the middle window, the volumetric flow will be less (if you have the same opening area with the third window), because the molecules of air will be scattered in a bigger extent and most of them will return outside the house.

Anyway, if you let the window open for much time, the room temperature will be equal to Tout. However, the faster way to reach Tout is the third window (this way of opening).
Now this makes sense to me, I suck at physics and that's why I came here to ask this question. But is there any formula/theory for the last part "
if you let the window open for much time, the room temperature will be equal to Tout. However, the faster way to reach Tout is the third window (this way of opening).".

Fodder said:
Now this makes sense to me, I suck at physics and that's why I came here to ask this question. But is there any formula/theory for the last part "
if you let the window open for much time, the room temperature will be equal to Tout. However, the faster way to reach Tout is the third window (this way of opening).".

This specific phenomenon can be explained/analysed with the help of thermodynamics (fluid dynamics and heat transfer phenomena).

Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is a very interesting field of thermodynamics. For example, you can simulate this situation in COMSOL Multiphysics, drawing a house exactly and setting which doors/windows are open and which are closed and you will get the temperature distribution in the house.

DoItForYourself said:
This specific phenomenon can be explained/analysed with the help of thermodynamics (fluid dynamics and heat transfer phenomena).

Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is a very interesting field of thermodynamics. For example, you can simulate this situation in COMSOL Multiphysics, drawing a house exactly and setting which doors/windows are open and which are closed and you will get the temperature distribution in the house.
Right, thanks for answering, I will read a bit about fluid dynamics.

Likes DoItForYourself

1. Does the size of the open area in my window affect airflow?

Yes, the size of the open area in your window can affect airflow. A larger open area allows for more air to flow through, while a smaller open area restricts airflow.

2. How does the open area of my window impact temperature control?

The open area of your window can impact temperature control. A larger open area allows for more air to flow through, which can help regulate temperature. However, if the open area is too large, it can also lead to heat loss or gain.

3. Is there an ideal size for the open area of a window?

There is no specific ideal size for the open area of a window. It depends on various factors such as the size of the room, desired temperature, and climate. It is best to consult with a professional for personalized recommendations.

4. Can the open area of a window affect sound transmission?

Yes, the open area of a window can affect sound transmission. A larger open area allows for more sound to pass through, while a smaller open area can help reduce noise from outside.

5. Does the material of the window affect the impact of the open area?

Yes, the material of the window can affect the impact of the open area. For example, a double-paned window with a larger open area may have a different impact on airflow and temperature control compared to a single-paned window with the same open area.