Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stator slots, does the shape make a difference?

1. Mar 24, 2013 #1
    Hi folks, I'm very new to your impressive forums but just know I've come to the right place for all the pesky questions I need answers to.

For starters - Does the shape\form of a stator slot in a mono-phase, squirrel cage, A\C motor really make a difference?

I believe some shapes offer better magnetic field efficiency, whilst other forms offer better torque, etc. However, despite my continuing investigation I'm still somewhat confused as I can find little data that touches exactly on the shape or form of stator slots as most of the data generalizes rather than specifying.

And no, this isn't a homework question. I'm trying to make my own stator plates for an experimental 120v motor and need the advice.

I really hope someone can help and maybe even supply a link or two to further information.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2

gerbi

Gold Member

Hi
    There are many possible shapes for stator slots. Selecting a specific shape is infuleced by theses factors:
    - stator winding wire shape (round or rectangular) - to achieve best flling of stator slot,
    - width of slot entry - wider for machine filling of slot with winding wires,
    - minimizing losses in core (and magnetic voltage as well) - changing shape of slot will affect flux distribution in stator teeth (area between slots). Stator teeth should have constant width along it's height (to maintain constant induction -> magnetic field distribution will affect both losses and magnetic voltage),
    - allowed temperature rise in slot area,
    - desired leakage reactance of stator winding (if is considered as one of the design criteria).

In general, it's based on economic and technical criteria. Calculations can be quite complex (you would need to create a calculation model, especially for electromagnetical calcs). Some experience is required to begin design process.

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

single phase motors are generally on the small-ish side

but to your question

resistance of the stator winding affects both starting torque and full load slip.
    Some motors employ stator bars that are odd shaped, so that under starting conditions the bars exhibit different resistance than at full load. They resemble a figure eight in cross section.
    and of course aluminum vs copper makes a difference too.

I googled last night on these terms
    squirrel cage rotor bar shape

and got to several articles
    but I've been feeling like a post-hog lately so kept quiet.

Of course there's flux concentration at the slot corners

and slots are skewed because that makes the motor less noisy

all these things are explained qualitatively in easy to read articles you'll find by that search.
    Quantitative articles are harder to find and I didn't stumble across a worked out example. Probably an electric machinery textbook would be the best bet for that - peruse your secondhand bookstores and college library.

I hope this gives you a start on your design.

One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.

http://www.wernerelectric.com/Public/Index.asp?page_id=183&Content_ID=799 [Broken]
    http://www.wernerelectric.com/Public/getFile.asp?File_Content_ID=477 [Broken]

http://www.copper.org/environment/s...tric-motors/motor-rotor/pdf/Squirrel_Cage.pdf

http://www.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/GET-8065?TNR=White%20Papers|GET-8065|generic [Broken]

old jim

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Mar 26, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the responses and those are some super helpful links, Old Jim.

I'll give the links a thorough seeing to and add all this good stuff to my ever increasing data pile.

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook