• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Does the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia?

• Thread starter jcapadilla
  • Start date
:bugeye:

Answers and Replies

i want to know if the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia..

hey can you help me out? i want to know if the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia.. ? :S plz! lol:cool:

Looks like it'd be a basic neutralization reaction, producing ammonia sulfate and water as products. I suppose that'd leave a little ammonia from the ammonia sulfate dissociating in solution, but other than that, no, it's not going to like, give off gaseous ammonia.

hey can you help me out? i want to know if the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia.. ? :S plz! lol:cool:
no, they produce ammonium sulphate (a salt)

this reaction is used to make fertilizer.

If you have some NH4OH you already have a solution of ammonia in water. Simply heating this solution will give you ammonia.

NH4OH --> NH3 + H2O

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Welcome to the forums jcapadilla. Please note that homework questions should be posted in the homework forums, using the homework template and giving as much detail as possible regarding both the question and your attempted solution.

I've merged a couple of threads together, and moved to the homework forum, which will explain why this may not read through clearly as a whole thread.

Sulfuric acid acidifies your system and protonates any ammonia that is formed.