1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia?

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1
    :bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2
    i want to know if the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia..

4. Apr 27, 2008 #3
    hey can you help me out? i want to know if the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia.. ? :S plz! lol:cool:

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4
    Looks like it'd be a basic neutralization reaction, producing ammonia sulfate and water as products. I suppose that'd leave a little ammonia from the ammonia sulfate dissociating in solution, but other than that, no, it's not going to like, give off gaseous ammonia.

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5
    no, they produce ammonium sulphate (a salt)

this reaction is used to make fertilizer.

If you have some NH4OH you already have a solution of ammonia in water. Simply heating this solution will give you ammonia.

NH4OH --> NH3 + H2O

7. Apr 27, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Welcome to the forums jcapadilla. Please note that homework questions should be posted in the homework forums, using the homework template and giving as much detail as possible regarding both the question and your attempted solution.

I've merged a couple of threads together, and moved to the homework forum, which will explain why this may not read through clearly as a whole thread.

8. Apr 28, 2008 #7
    Sulfuric acid acidifies your system and protonates any ammonia that is formed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?