Does the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia?

In summary, the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonium sulfate, a salt commonly used as a fertilizer. The reaction also produces water and some gaseous ammonia, but the sulfuric acid present in the reaction will protonate and neutralize the ammonia. This reaction can also be used to create ammonia from a solution of NH4OH by simply heating it.
jcapadilla
:bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
i want to know if the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia..

hey can you help me out? i want to know if the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia.. ? :S please! lol:cool:

Looks like it'd be a basic neutralization reaction, producing ammonia sulfate and water as products. I suppose that'd leave a little ammonia from the ammonia sulfate dissociating in solution, but other than that, no, it's not going to like, give off gaseous ammonia.

jcapadilla said:
hey can you help me out? i want to know if the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produces ammonia.. ? :S please! lol:cool:

no, they produce ammonium sulphate (a salt)

this reaction is used to make fertilizer.

If you have some NH4OH you already have a solution of ammonia in water. Simply heating this solution will give you ammonia.

NH4OH --> NH3 + H2O

Welcome to the forums jcapadilla. Please note that homework questions should be posted in the homework forums, using the homework template and giving as much detail as possible regarding both the question and your attempted solution.

I've merged a couple of threads together, and moved to the homework forum, which will explain why this may not read through clearly as a whole thread.

Sulfuric acid acidifies your system and protonates any ammonia that is formed.

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH?

The chemical equation for this reaction is: H2SO4 + 2NH4OH → (NH4)2SO4 + 2H2O

2. Will the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH produce ammonia?

Yes, the reaction between H2SO4 and NH4OH will produce ammonia. It is one of the products of this reaction.

3. What is the purpose of this reaction?

This reaction is often used in the laboratory to produce ammonia for various experiments and tests. It can also be used in industrial processes to produce ammonia for fertilizers and other products.

4. Is this reaction exothermic or endothermic?

This reaction is exothermic, meaning it releases heat as it occurs.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when conducting this reaction?

Yes, it is important to handle H2SO4 and NH4OH with care as they can be corrosive and may cause irritation to the skin and eyes. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. Proper protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn at all times.