Does the reactivity series of metals hold true for organic compounds?

In summary, Fajan's rule states that in displacement reactions, the size of the cation plays a crucial role in determining the stability of the product. In the case of the reaction between Na and Ca, the smaller size of Ca+2 results in a more stable product, causing Ca to displace Na. However, this rule does not apply to reactions involving ions, such as Cu2+ and Ag+. In these cases, the metal cation is displaced by another metal.
Yashbhatt
I've learned that a more active metal displaces a less reactive one. So, according to the reactivity series Ca cannot displace Na but in he reaction given at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_scum
Na is displaced by Ca.
What is the reason for this exception?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yashbhatt said:
I've learned that a more active metal displaces a less reactive one. So, according to the reactivity series Ca cannot displace Na but in he reaction given at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_scum
Na is displaced by Ca.

I am afraid you are wrong. ''Na'' is not replaced by Ca but Na+ is getting replaced by Ca+2. The reason for this displacement reaction is given by Fajan's rule. Fajan's rule states that lesser the size of cation, more stable is the compound/ionic salt. So here, size of calcium cation is lesser than sodium cation and hence greater product stability, thus the product.

Reactivity series applies to (Metal + Other compound) kind of reactions.

Eg: Na + H2O = NaOH + 1/2H2

But if we have reactions like CuSO4 + Na → Na2SO4 + Cu
In such reactions we have Cu in the ion form i.e. Cu2+. So in this reaction aren't the cations of copper displaced?

Yeah. But, the one displacing it, i.e sodium is in the form of metal.

Yashbhatt said:
But if we have reactions like CuSO4 + Na → Na2SO4 + Cu
In such reactions we have Cu in the ion form i.e. Cu2+. So in this reaction aren't the cations of copper displaced?

This is rather bad example. Better one will be

2AgNO3 + Cu → Cu(NO3)2 + 2Ag

or, in the net ionic form

2Ag+ + Cu → Cu2+ + 2Ag

1. What is the reactivity series of metals?

The reactivity series of metals is a list of metals arranged in order of their reactivity, with the most reactive metal at the top and the least reactive metal at the bottom. This series is based on the ability of metals to lose electrons and form positive ions.

2. Does the reactivity series of metals apply to organic compounds?

No, the reactivity series of metals is specific to inorganic compounds and does not hold true for organic compounds. Organic compounds are made up of carbon and hydrogen atoms, and their reactivity is determined by the type and arrangement of these atoms, rather than their position in a reactivity series.

3. How are organic compounds classified in terms of reactivity?

Organic compounds can be classified into reactive and non-reactive categories. Reactive compounds have functional groups such as alcohols, halides, and carboxylic acids that can undergo chemical reactions, while non-reactive compounds have only single bonds between carbon atoms and are more stable.

4. Can organic compounds undergo redox reactions?

Yes, some organic compounds can undergo redox reactions, where there is a transfer of electrons between two molecules. However, these reactions are not as common as inorganic redox reactions and are usually limited to compounds with highly reactive functional groups.

5. How does the reactivity of organic compounds compare to that of metals?

The reactivity of organic compounds is generally lower than that of metals. This is because metals have a lower electronegativity and are more willing to lose electrons, while organic compounds have a higher electronegativity and are less likely to undergo electron transfer. However, there are exceptions, as some organic compounds can be highly reactive due to the presence of certain functional groups.