Does the speed of light remain constant in an expanding universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the constancy of light's speed and its relationship to the expanding universe. The speaker explains that in a vacuum, light's speed is constant, but the distance between planets and stars in the solar system is not increasing. The concept of relative motion is also introduced. The conversation ends with a recommendation to read about cosmology and the expansion of the universe from a reputable source.
Swetha.M.L
Is light's speed constant? The universe is expanding, i think the distant b/w the planets&stars are increasing is that true? is it true then is the time taken to reach sun light to Earth now from past change? if the time is constant then how the speed of light is constant?

Likes jjj78
Science news on Phys.org
Swetha.M.L said:
Is light's speed constant?
In a vacuum, yes.

The universe is expanding, i think the distant b/w the planets&stars are increasing is that true?
yes
EDIT: I was a bit fast on that one. No, the things in the solar system are not moving apart. I was thinking you were talking about galaxies which ARE moving apart (except in clusters). I suggest you read the link in my signature.

is it true then is the time taken to reach sun light to Earth now from past change?
yes
EDIT: again, I was thinking you were asking about really distant objects such as other galaxies. Since the distance from Earth to Sun is not changing, neither is the light travel time.

if the time is constant then how the speed of light is constant?

First off, all speed is relative to something so you need to be careful how you think about things in relative motion.

Suppose you have a set of three cars. the first car is moving South at 10 mph and the second is moving North at 10mph. Now the third car starts moving North at 20 mph and just keeps going at 20mph. The first and second cars start speeding up and slowing down. Why would you think that has any effect on the speed of the 3rd car? [all those speeds, by the way, are implied as being relative to the ground, which is taken as the frame of reference]

i am very sorry for disturbing you with my stupid question. what do you mean by the expansion of universe?

Swetha.M.L said:
i am very sorry for disturbing you with my stupid question. what do you mean by the expansion of universe?
You would really be better off reading some basic cosmology instead of asking random questions on an internet forum. The expansion of the universe is one of the first things you will learn about.

Here might be a good place to start.

Leonard Susskind is well respected physicist. You can consider him credible. Also, the way he presents cosmology here, the math is kept as simple as is possible considering the subject.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a physical constant that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 186,282 miles per second.

2. Why is the speed of light considered a constant?

The speed of light is considered a constant because it does not change, regardless of the observer's frame of reference or the velocity of the source emitting the light. This has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is a fundamental principle in physics.

3. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light can be measured using various methods, such as using a laser and a rotating mirror or by measuring the time it takes for light to travel a known distance. The most accurate and widely accepted measurement is based on the definition of the meter in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. It is believed to be impossible for any object with mass to reach or exceed the speed of light. However, there are some theoretical concepts, such as wormholes, that may allow for faster-than-light travel.

5. Why is the speed of light important in science?

The speed of light is important in science because it is a fundamental constant that plays a crucial role in many theories and equations, such as Einstein's theory of relativity and Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, telecommunications, and particle physics.