Does the spring's direction of acceleration affect the momentum of the system?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Joe Armas
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In the pictures

Homework Equations



Fnet = dp/dt

The Attempt at a Solution



I know in part b there is a net external force (gravity) that does positive work, fnet > 0, thus dp/dt is positive. Does the spring in part c increase or decrease the momentum of the system? I am not too sure of
my answer.[/B]
0222151508.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is 'the system?' Is it both blocks or one block? Do you see how the answer is different in either case?
 
0222151508.jpg

brainpushups said:
What is 'the system?' Is it both blocks or one block? Do you see how the answer is different in either case?
The system consists of the two gliders. So it appears that the spring is indeed an external force. But the direction the spring accelerates the block is in negative direction, so I am not sure how the TOTAL momentum of the system will change.
 
Joe Armas said:
0222151508.jpg


The system consists of the two gliders. So it appears that the spring is indeed an external force. But the direction the spring accelerates the block is in negative direction, so I am not sure how the TOTAL momentum of the system will change.
Even if you count the spring as external to the system (and I'm not sure that's intended), you are not given any mass for it. Taking its mass as zero, it cannot add or remove any momentum from the system of gliders.