Does the wavelength for photodissociation of hydrogen vary?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Alan Boxx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hydrogen Wavelength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Alan Boxx
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Photodissociation of hydrogen at ground state requires a 273nm wavelength for a photon particle to dissociate H2--> H- + H+. But what about hydrogen at higher states of energy? Is the 273nm a constant? If not, what is the formula for min. wavelength for higher energy states (frequency-temperature relationship)? I've researched this quite a bit, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Google "Lyman, Balmer, Paschen, Brackett, Pfund."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy and Alan Boxx
Bystander said:
Google "Lyman, Balmer, Paschen, Brackett, Pfund."
Thanks a lot. I'll do my digging.