Does this device give a magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical question of whether there is a magnetic field when two electrostatic particles are fixed in a circle and the circle is turned. The participants also mention using the Lienard-Wiechert potentials and Maxwell's equations to calculate the magnetic field, with one participant specifically looking for the magnetostatic field at low frequency. They ultimately determine that the field can be calculated using superposition and adding the fields due to each charge.
Gh778
Hello,

It's a theoretical question. I take 2 electrostatic particules fixed in a circle. I turn the circle. Is there a magnetic field ? I suppose the angular velocity very high and I suppose the particules are fixed in the circle. The diameter of the circle is very small. I don't want the electromagnetic wave but the magnetic field at low frequency : magnetostatics.

case1/
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/2970/jIKEwq.png

case2/
http://imageshack.com/a/img540/3374/ldkDxd.png

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gh778 said:
Hello,

It's a theoretical question. I take 2 electrostatic particules fixed in a circle. I turn the circle. Is there a magnetic field ? I suppose the angular velocity very high and I suppose the particules are fixed in the circle. The diameter of the circle is very small.
Look at the Lienard Wiechert potentials. What do they say?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liénard–Wiechert_potential

It's only for one particle ? And I'm looking for the magnetic field at low frequency not the electromagnetic wave.

Last edited:
Maxwells equations are linear. Just use superposition.

Sorry, but I don't undertand how to use your link to find the magnetostatic field, could you explain please ?

Calculate the field due to each charge, as described in the link. Then just add them together to get the total field.

Ok, and to have the magnetostatic field ?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can affect other electrically charged objects within its range.

2. How can I tell if a device produces a magnetic field?

You can use a magnet or a compass to detect the presence of a magnetic field. If the device causes the magnet or compass to move, it is likely producing a magnetic field.

3. What types of devices typically produce magnetic fields?

Devices that use electricity, such as motors, generators, and electronic devices, can produce magnetic fields. Permanent magnets and electromagnets can also produce magnetic fields.

4. Can a magnetic field be harmful to humans?

In general, the magnetic fields produced by everyday devices are not harmful to humans. However, very strong magnetic fields, such as those used in medical imaging machines, can have potential health risks.

5. How can I measure the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can detect and measure the intensity of magnetic fields in a specific location.