Static magnetic field from time-varying electric field

In summary, a time-varying electric field creates a magnetic field which is time-varying itself. However, this does not always happen, and there are some exceptions where a time-varying electric-field does not produce a time-varying magnetic field.
EmilyRuck
Hello!
In this thread, in this answer, my statement "A time-varying electric field creates a magnetic field which is time-varying itself" was refuted.

ZapperZ said:
Actually, this is not correct.

From Ampere's law, the curl of B is proportional to the time rate of change of E (and current density if there's one). But this curl of B need not have a time varying solution as well. It can easily be a magnetostatic field.

Zz.

Because I never observed this before, I would like to discuss about it. As far as I know, Maxwell's equations are valid always together, that is contemporary. Suppose that impressed currents are 0 and that we are in a linear, homogeneous medium. So, yes, Ampère's law does not cause a variation for the magnetic field

[itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{H} = \epsilon \displaystyle \frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t}[/itex]

but the co-existence of this equation with

[itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = - \mu \displaystyle \frac{\partial \mathbf{H}}{\partial t}[/itex]

implies that, when one field (the electric one or the magnetic one) varies with time, it will create the other, varying with time too.
If it is incorrect, could you give me a more clear explanation? And could you give an example of a time-varying electric field which creates a static magnetic field?
Thank you anyway,

Emily

Physics news on Phys.org
##
\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = 0## does not always imply that ##\mathbf{E}=0##.

Consider the field induced from ##E=(kt,0,0)##

Likes EmilyRuck
Consider ##\mathbf{E} = A_0t\hat{x}## and ##\mathbf{H} = \epsilon A_0 (z\hat{y} + 2y\hat{z})##, it should satisfy the two Maxwell equations with the curl.

Likes EmilyRuck and Dale
Thank you both. Your examples provide a static magnetic field.
The requirements seem to be (observing [itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{H} = \epsilon \partial \mathbf{E} / \partial t[/itex]):
- a constant [itex]\partial \mathbf{E} / \partial t[/itex] and so a linear time-dependency for the [itex]\mathbf{E}[/itex] components.
But this will imply (observing [itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = - \mu \partial \mathbf{H} / \partial t = 0[/itex]):
- a field [itex]\mathbf{E}[/itex] which is still conservative.
Are these necessary and sufficient conditions for having a static magnetic field with a time-varying electric field?

Another important case is the sinusoidal one. But I think the above requirements could never be satisfied with that time-variation. At least in this case, a (sinusoidal) time-varying electric-field always produces a (sinusoidal) time-varying magnetic field and vice-versa.
Is it right or are there some other exceptions?

1. What is a static magnetic field?

A static magnetic field is a type of magnetic field that does not change in magnitude or direction over time. It is created by a permanent magnet or by a constant electric current flowing through a wire.

2. What is a time-varying electric field?

A time-varying electric field is an electric field that changes in magnitude or direction over time. This can be caused by a changing electric current or by moving electric charges.

3. How does a time-varying electric field create a static magnetic field?

According to Maxwell's equations, a changing electric field can create a magnetic field. This is known as electromagnetic induction, where the changing electric field induces a magnetic field perpendicular to it.

4. What are some examples of time-varying electric fields creating static magnetic fields?

Some examples include the magnetic field created by a current flowing through a wire, the magnetic field of a generator, and the magnetic field of an MRI machine.

5. What are the potential health effects of exposure to a static magnetic field from a time-varying electric field?

Studies have shown that exposure to static magnetic fields from time-varying electric fields has no harmful effects on human health. However, individuals with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers, may need to take precautions in these environments.