Does this matrix come up anywhere?

• Thread starter YaroslavVB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, a d-by-d matrix where d is a power of 2 can be decomposed into (d-1)I-A, where A is a matrix with all 1's. The eigenvectors of A and (d-1)I-A are the same, so finding the eigenvectors of the matrix with all ones is all that is needed. This type of matrix is known as a circulant matrix and is commonly used in physical systems.
YaroslavVB
d-by-d matrix where d is a power of 2

d,1,1,1,...
1,d,1,1,...
1,1,d,1,..

In particular, I'm looking for nice expression for an orthogonal basis of eigenvectors of it

Physics news on Phys.org
You can decompose it into (d-1)I-A where A is the matrix with all 1's. The eigenvectors of A and (d-1)I-A are the same, so all you need to do is find the eigenvectors of the matrix with all ones.

Since A has a big kernel and you get to pick whichever eigenvectors you want this should be doable

+1 for office_shredder.

and in answer to the question in your title - this type of matrix does come up in some physical systems... I just can't remember where I've seen it.

Also, it's a very special type of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circulant_matrix

1. What is a matrix and why is it important?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is important in a variety of fields, including computer science, physics, and engineering, as it provides a convenient way to organize and manipulate data.

2. How is a matrix used in computer science?

In computer science, matrices are commonly used to represent and manipulate data, such as images or text. They are also used in algorithms and machine learning techniques to solve problems and make predictions.

3. Can you give an example of where matrices are used in physics?

Matrices are used extensively in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics. For example, the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles, is represented as a matrix equation.

4. Are there any real-life applications of matrices?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of matrices. For instance, they are used in finance to analyze and optimize investment portfolios, in transportation to model traffic flow, and in genetics to study genetic inheritance patterns.

5. How can I determine if a matrix is important in a specific field or problem?

The best way to determine if a matrix is important in a specific field or problem is to consult with experts in that field or do some research on the topic. You can also look for keywords related to matrices in relevant literature or try to identify patterns in the data that could be represented by a matrix.