Does this series converge - for which a,b,c?

• Thread starter Treadstone 71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses a series with a general term involving factorials and nonnegative integers, and the task is to prove its convergence if a certain condition is met. Various tests are attempted, including the ratio test and Raabe's test, but they all fail. The conversation then delves into the hypergeometric function and its relationship to the series, but it is deemed too advanced. Finally, someone suggests taking the logarithm of the terms and using basic bounds to prove convergence, and it is verified that Raabe's test can be used in this way.
Treadstone 71
"Given a series whose general term is

[tex]\frac{a(a+1)...(a+n)b(b+1)...(b+n)}{(n+1)!c(c+1)...(c+n)}[/tex]

prove that it converges if c>a+b, and a,b,c are strictly nonnegative"

I have tried all the tests I know (ratio, root, raabe's, abel), and they all failed. I don't know how to apply the integral test here, but I'm sure it will fail too.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ratio test worked for me.

I keep getting 1. How did you do it?

I get

[tex]\frac{(a+n+1)(b+n+1)}{(n+2)(c+n+1)}[/tex]

which will result in 1 when taken to infinity.

I don't see how to use the ratio test either.

Do you know about the gamma function? You can write this in terms gammas, then use one of it's asymptotic relationships (Stirling's isn't the simplest choice here).

Even if I did, I doubt I would be allowed to use it. I'm beginning to think this can't converge at all, but it must.

It clearly will converge because of that factorial in the denominator.

HallsofIvy said:
It clearly will converge because of that factorial in the denominator.

I don't think this is an obvious thing, there are 2n+2 terms in both the numerator and denominator.

Try bounding your terms by taking the logarithm then grouping terms. Use basic bounds for the log, the goal in mind is to bound your entire term by a constant times something like n^{a+b-1-c}.

Treadstone 71 said:
"Given a series whose general term is

[tex]\frac{a(a+1)...(a+n)b(b+1)...(b+n)}{(n+1)!c(c+1)...(c+n)}[/tex]

prove that it converges if c>a+b, and a,b,c are strictly nonnegative"

I have tried all the tests I know (ratio, root, raabe's, abel), and they all failed. I don't know how to apply the integral test here, but I'm sure it will fail too.

This series ought to look farmiliar: define the Pochhammer symbol (a.k.a. the rising factorial) for nonnegative integers k by

[tex](p)_k:=p(p+1)\cdots (p+k-1) = \frac{\Gamma (p+k)}{\Gamma (p)},(p)_0:=1[/tex]

then your general term becomes

[tex]\frac{a(a+1)...(a+n)b(b+1)...(b+n)}{(n+1)!c(c+1).. .(c+n)}=\frac{(a)_{n+1}(b)_{n+1}}{(n+1)!(c)_{n+1}}[/tex]

so it is evident that the series under consideration is the hypergeometric function

[tex]_2F_1 (a,b;c;z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(a)_{n}(b)_{n}}{(c)_{n}}\frac{z^n}{n!}[/tex]

evaluated at z=1 and shifted a bit, so its

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(a)_{n+1}(b)_{n+1}}{(c)_{n+1}}\frac{1}{(n+1)!} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(a)_{n}(b)_{n}}{(c)_{n}}\frac{1}{n!} = -1+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(a)_{n}(b)_{n}}{(c)_{n}}\frac{1}{n!} =-1 + _2F_1 (a,b;c;1)[/tex]

Last edited:
The method used is too advanced. There must be a more elementary proof.

Unless you already knew the relevant hypergeometric series converges, it wouldn't get you very far.

Did you try taking the log as I suggested? You won't need anything more advanced than a bound for things like log(1-x)

I don't really understand what you mean by taking the log. Do you mean taking the log of the general term, the entire series, or the ration of two consecutive terms?

Also, can someone verify Raabe's test? I did it again, and according to it, the series will diverge no matter what. There might be an error in my arithmetic.

of the terms:

[tex]\log\left(\frac{a(a+1)...(a+n)b(b+1)...(b+n)}{(n+1)!c(c+1).. .(c+n)}\right)[/tex]

Though I missed your mention of Raabe's test, sorry, so you won't need to use my suggestion. Check Raabe's again, and post your result. You may have inverted the [tex]a_{n}/a_{n+1}[/tex]term.

Last edited:
Raabe's test was given to me as [tex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\leq 1-\frac{\alpha}{n}, \alpha>1[/tex]. Are you saying that it's actually [tex]\frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}}[/tex] instead?

EDIT: I checked mathworld. It seems my professor gave me Raabe's test upside-down. It works now. Thanks.

Last edited:

1. Does this series converge for all values of a, b, and c?

The answer to this question depends on the specific series in question. Some series may converge for all values of a, b, and c, while others may only converge for certain combinations of these variables. It is important to carefully analyze the series and apply appropriate convergence tests to determine if it converges for all values of a, b, and c.

2. What is the significance of the values of a, b, and c in determining the convergence of a series?

The values of a, b, and c play a crucial role in determining the convergence of a series. These values may affect the overall behavior of the series and can determine whether it converges or diverges. It is important to carefully consider the values of these variables when analyzing a series for convergence.

3. Is there a general rule for determining if a series converges for a given set of values for a, b, and c?

Unfortunately, there is no single general rule for determining the convergence of a series for a given set of values for a, b, and c. The convergence of a series depends on various factors, such as the specific series and the convergence tests applied. It is important to carefully analyze each series individually to determine its convergence.

4. Can a series converge for some values of a, b, and c, but diverge for others?

Yes, it is possible for a series to converge for certain values of a, b, and c, but diverge for others. This is because the convergence of a series depends on the specific values and how they affect the overall behavior of the series. It is important to carefully consider all possible combinations of values when analyzing a series for convergence.

5. Is there a way to simplify the analysis of a series by choosing specific values for a, b, and c?

In some cases, choosing specific values for a, b, and c may simplify the analysis of a series. For example, if a series contains variables in the denominator, it may be helpful to choose values that make the denominator equal to 0, as this can reveal important information about the behavior of the series. However, this approach may not always work, and it is important to carefully consider all possible values when analyzing a series for convergence.