1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does V0 affect acceleration under constant Force?

1. Jun 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block of mass M = 10 kg is sitting on the table as shwoin Figure above. There is friction between the block and the table, the coefficient of friction is u = 0.1.
    The block has initial velocity V, and a constant forceF is applied to the black as showing Figure above.
    A) For the case of V = 0 and F = 5 N, find acceleration of the block
    B) Constant force is F = 5N, and at time t = 0, the initial velocity is v = 2 m/s, find acceleration of the block.
    C) Constant force is F = 15N, and at time t = 0, the initial velocity is v = 2 m/s find acceleration of the block.

It asks to find the dependence of velocity and position as functions of time, but I assume i just integrate to find those.

2. Relevant equations
    ΣF=ma
    Ff=μN

3. The attempt at a solution
    F0-Ff=10kg(a)
    a=(5N-10N)/10kg; a=0

So I think the acceleration is 0 in both cases, but I'm uncertain if the initial velocity would have an effect. Assuming I derived a correctly V0 doesn't affect a, but I'm honestly not sure.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2017 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You didn't state the problem, but in any case acceleration only depends on the net force.

4. Jun 17, 2017 #3

Doc Al

(5 - 10)/10 does not equal zero.

5. Jun 17, 2017 #4
    I know in the first case the force of friction is greater than the applied force so its a is 0.
    How do I find the acceleration of the second case with the V0 of 2?

Is it just -.5m/s2

6. Jun 17, 2017 #5

Doc Al

Please state the complete problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted