Does Walking Transfer Energy to the Ground?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Berney123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Energy transfer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
Berney123
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
When I walk do I transfer energy to the ground via my foot, if so would the ground/earth than gain an extremely small amount of mass because e=mc2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It won't gain mass, but will either gain or lose a tiny bit of rotation (dependent upon the direction in which you're walking). It's more the "equal and opposite reaction" concept than the "e=mc2" one.
 
Thanks but do I still transfer a bit of energy to the ground.
 
Yes, the same amount that it transmits to you. When I wrote "rotation", I was implying "rotational energy". I should have been clearer.
 
The momentum you transfer to the ground is the same as the momentum that you gain. The energy is different though. The ground only receives a very tiny fraction of the energy. Nearly all of it goes into you.