1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does x/(x^2 - 1)^2 converge or diverge?

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Does the integral from 2 to infinity of x/(x^2 - 1)2 converge or diverge, if it converges, state its value.

I got up to the point where i know the integral converges using the direct comparison test and comparing the original integral with the integral from 2 to infinity of 1/x3.

First, i "FOILed" the bottom to get:

x/[x4 - 2x2 + 1]

Using my FOILed integral i took out an x/x4 which is = to 1/x3 and then used the direct comparison test to find out that the integral from 2 to infinity of 1/x3 reaches a value of 1/2 (converging), thus allowing us to assume that the original integral converges as well.

Now, i just don't know how to calculate the value of convergence for x/(x^2 - 1)2. Any advice to lead me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    Hint: The numerator is proportional to the derivative of the contents of the brackets in the denominator.

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    u-sub ;)

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't do it this way* -- but is there any reason why you did not consider partial fractions?

*: unless you want to.

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5
    i just realized you have to use u-substitution. partial fractions take much too long for a problem like this.

7. Jan 14, 2010 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bet you could have done it in the half hour between your previous two posts. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook