Dogs pulling on a post vector probelm

In summary, the dogs are pulling horizontally on ropes attached to a post, and the angle between the ropes is 60.5. The resultant force is calculated by taking the forces of each dog and multiplying them together.
kirby27
Two dogs pull horizontally on ropes attached to a post; the angle between the ropes is 60.5.

If dog A exerts a force of 250 and dog B exerts a force of 330 , find the magnitude of the resultant force.

Find the the angle the resultant force makes with dog A's rope.

-I don't know where to start because i don't know what to do with the 60.5 degrees. should i split it equally between the dogs (30.25 each)? does it matter? or am i doing it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know where to start because i don't know what to do with the 60.5 degrees. should i split it equally between the dogs (30.25 each)?
No, don't split the angle between the dogs.
does it matter?
Does what matter?
... or am i doing it wrong?
Doing what wrong? Please show what it is that you are doing.:smile:

Last edited:
ok. i know not to split the angle, but now i don't know how to get started.

You realize that this is a vector addition question, yes? What methods have you used in the past? There is the graphical method with rulers and protractors, the parallelogram method if you like trig functions, to start.

i'm very good at vector adition, but i don't know how to divide these two vectors into their components. if i had angles for each vector i would understand how to do the problem

Well then pick one of the dog vectors so that it aligns with the +x axis. Put the other dog vector at the angle 60.5° CW (or CCW--it does not matter) from the first dog and then add them using the component method.

ok but the question says that the dogs pull "horizontally." This means that they are both pulling on the x-axis, and their angle is created in the y-axis. isn't the wording unclear?

I did not read it that way. "pulling horizontally" means that all their force is applied in a horizontal plane.

im going to trust you on this one

So, to be clear, this horizontal plane consists of an x-axis (+x pointing east, say) and a y-axis (+y pointing north). The dogs pulling horizontally means there is no z-component of force. [Edit: No short dog, tall dog scenario. :smile:]

Last edited:

1. How can I prevent my dog from pulling on a post vector?

One way to prevent your dog from pulling on a post vector is to train them using positive reinforcement techniques. This involves rewarding your dog for good behavior, such as walking calmly next to you instead of pulling on the post vector.

2. Why do dogs pull on a post vector?

Dogs may pull on a post vector for a variety of reasons, including excitement, fear, or lack of training. It is important to identify the underlying cause in order to properly address the behavior.

3. Can using a harness instead of a collar help with a dog pulling on a post vector?

Yes, using a harness can often help with a dog pulling on a post vector. Harnesses distribute the pressure of the leash more evenly across the dog's body, which can make it more comfortable for them to walk without pulling.

4. Is it necessary to use a specific type of leash to prevent a dog from pulling on a post vector?

No, there is no specific type of leash that is necessary to prevent a dog from pulling on a post vector. However, using a shorter leash can give you more control over your dog's movements and make it easier to redirect them if they start to pull.

5. How long does it take to train a dog to stop pulling on a post vector?

The length of time it takes to train a dog to stop pulling on a post vector can vary depending on the dog's individual behavior and the consistency of their training. It may take a few weeks to several months to see significant improvement in your dog's behavior.