Doing theoretical Physics or Math work as a hobby

In summary, the possibility of doing scientific research without being paid for it has been discussed on this forum with some issues raised regarding time and social networking. While it may be difficult to secure a job as a physicist, there is still a possibility of collaborating with a research group after completing a master's degree and PhD. However, it may be easier in theoretical rather than experimental sciences. In Belgium, it is possible to subscribe to a research group as a volunteer, which offers some benefits. This path is being considered by others as well.
PabloAMC
I am a bit new in this forum, so excuse me if you have already talked about it before. I've been reading on this forum about the possiblility of doing scientific research without being paid for it, and according to some posts there were some problems, mainly due to a lack of time and social networking. However let me explain myself. I am (or used to be) one of this "bunch of naive wide-eyed kids who want to research on theoretical physics (or math)", and I am in fact in my 3rd year of bachelor in Physics doing pretty well. But according to 90% (maybe) of the users of these forum getting a job as a Physicist is little less than living in hell. Therefore I think that, if is possible, I would be very happy to work on research, but I won't renounce to have a happy life just to get that job. However I would not like to stop doing research on my own.
I am willing to finish my master's degree and Phd (probably some postdoc as well), so I think I that after doing so, I would not have it so difficult to have a scientific network. Time is another story. With that, would it be possible to colaborate with some research group?
Thanks in advance
Pablo

Physics news on Phys.org
PabloAMC said:
I am a bit new in this forum, so excuse me if you have already talked about it before. I've been reading on this forum about the possiblility of doing scientific research without being paid for it, and according to some posts there were some problems, mainly due to a lack of time and social networking. However let me explain myself. I am (or used to be) one of this "bunch of naive wide-eyed kids who want to research on theoretical physics (or math)", and I am in fact in my 3rd year of bachelor in Physics doing pretty well. But according to 90% (maybe) of the users of these forum getting a job as a Physicist is little less than living in hell. Therefore I think that, if is possible, I would be very happy to work on research, but I won't renounce to have a happy life just to get that job. However I would not like to stop doing research on my own.
I am willing to finish my master's degree and Phd (probably some postdoc as well), so I think I that after doing so, I would not have it so difficult to have a scientific network. Time is another story. With that, would it be possible to colaborate with some research group?
Thanks in advance
Pablo

Yes, it is a possibility. If you can get access to a decent network, then perhaps you can still do research. But don't think you'll be as actively publishing as a professional researcher. Neither will you be able to keep track of the burning questions. But that doesn't mean research is out of the question.

Personally, I am out of academia, but I still colaborate with my old research group and I published some papers with them. So it's definitely possible. I guess it's easier in theoretical parts of sciences than in experimental since you'll likely won't have access to expensive devices anymore.

Here in Belgium it is possible to subscribe yourself to a research group as a "volunteer". It offers some benefits. So you're definitely not the only one who's thinking of such a path.

Likes PabloAMC
micromass said:
Here in Belgium it is possible to subscribe yourself to a research group as a "volunteer". It offers some benefits. So you're definitely not the only one who's thinking of such a path.
Thank you very much. I am curious because I have not been able to find nothing on the web like that. ¿Do you know a research group webpage where they ask for volunteers?

1. What is theoretical physics/math and how is it different from experimental work?

Theoretical physics/math is a branch of science that uses mathematical models and concepts to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is different from experimental work in that it focuses on developing theories and concepts, rather than conducting experiments to test them.

2. Can anyone do theoretical physics/math as a hobby, or do you need a specific education or background?

Anyone can explore theoretical physics/math as a hobby, but having a strong foundation in mathematics and physics is highly recommended. A formal education in these fields can help in understanding complex concepts and theories, but self-study and curiosity are also important for pursuing this as a hobby.

3. How do you stay updated on new developments in theoretical physics/math as a hobbyist?

As a hobbyist, you can stay updated on new developments through various online resources such as scientific journals, blogs, and forums. You can also attend lectures and conferences, or join a local physics/math club to discuss and learn about new ideas and theories.

4. What are some practical applications of theoretical physics/math?

Theoretical physics/math has numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine. For example, the theories of relativity and quantum mechanics have led to advancements in GPS technology and medical imaging. Theoretical physics/math also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing renewable energy sources and exploring the mysteries of the universe.

5. Is it possible to make significant contributions to theoretical physics/math as a hobbyist?

Yes, it is possible for hobbyists to make significant contributions to theoretical physics/math. Many groundbreaking theories and discoveries have been made by amateur scientists who were passionate about their hobbies. As long as one is dedicated, curious, and willing to put in the effort, they can make valuable contributions to the field as a hobbyist.