Doing well in graduate physics courses

In summary, a first year graduate student is having trouble in quantum mechanics. They're doing alright in other classes, but on exams they're usually scoring below the median. The professor they have is known for being tough, but if they're behind the majority of the class, they may have something they're not doing right. If they understand why they've lost points on exams, they can at least start focusing on making sure they don't make the same mistakes.
nsatya
Hey everyone,

I am currently a first-year grad student, and I'm having a little bit of trouble in quantum mechanics. I'm doing alright in E&M and Stat Mech. but on the quantum mechanics exams, I'm usually scoring about 10-15 points below the median. To study, I first make sure that I'm thorough with the concepts, then I work through extra problems that weren't assigned for homework, but I still don't seem to be prepared enough for the tests. The professor I have is known for being tough, but if I'm behind the majority of the class, there must be something that I'm not doing right. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you carefully analyzed where you have made mistakes on your exams, homeworks, etc?

An important question to ask is if you want to eventually do research for a career. If so, doing well in these classes is not really that important.

Note that you will have the rest of your career to catch up on these subjects.

General advice is to just ask as many questions about the the homework as you can until your time has ran out, and then just take the the exam and hope for the best. This is probably what you would do in actual research anyway, except in real life research there's not usually such an unrealistic deadline for understanding something as an exam

@ Jorriss:

Yes, I usually do pretty well on the homeworks, but if I lose points on an exam, I can understand why I lost points after looking at it a second time.

nsatya said:
@ Jorriss:

Yes, I usually do pretty well on the homeworks, but if I lose points on an exam, I can understand why I lost points after looking at it a second time.

What kind of things have you been losing points on?
If you understand WHY you've lost points then you can at least start focusing on making sure you don't make the same kinds of mistakes

nsatya said:
I'm doing alright in E&M and Stat Mech. but on the quantum mechanics exams, I'm usually scoring about 10-15 points below the median.

How bad is that? If that gets you a B, and you are doing decent in your other classes, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The professor I have is known for being tough, but if I'm behind the majority of the class, there must be something that I'm not doing right. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe they are just better than you. Seriously.

One thing that happens with academia is that if you end up in the top of the class, you just get bumped to a higher level, and eventually you will end up below average. Someone has to below average, and maybe this time its your turn.

The first thing that I'd find out is how bad it is. If you are 40th percentile, you are getting a B, and the prof doesn't think that you are in deep trouble, I wouldn't worry too much about this. If you are 10th percentile and you are overwhelmed, then I'd worry.

genericusrnme said:
What kind of things have you been losing points on?
If you understand WHY you've lost points then you can at least start focusing on making sure you don't make the same kinds of mistakes

But the beauty of grading on the curve is that this may not help you. It may be the situation that you fix your problems, but everyone else is also, so you end up running in place.

twofish-quant said:
How bad is that? If that gets you a B, and you are doing decent in your other classes, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Maybe they are just better than you. Seriously.

One thing that happens with academia is that if you end up in the top of the class, you just get bumped to a higher level, and eventually you will end up below average. Someone has to below average, and maybe this time its your turn.

The first thing that I'd find out is how bad it is. If you are 40th percentile, you are getting a B, and the prof doesn't think that you are in deep trouble, I wouldn't worry too much about this. If you are 10th percentile and you are overwhelmed, then I'd worry.

Yes, I'm getting a B in the class, but we have to maintain a B+ average in all our core courses. I have a B+ average now, but I just have to get at least all B+'s in my core courses next quarter. Worst case scenario, I'll end up retaking the class next year.

1. How can I improve my understanding of the material in graduate physics courses?

In order to improve your understanding of the material, it is important to attend all lectures and actively participate in class discussions. You should also make use of additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. Practice solving problems and seek help from your professors or teaching assistants if you are struggling with a particular concept.

2. What is the best way to prepare for exams in graduate physics courses?

The best way to prepare for exams is to start early and review the material regularly. Make sure to understand the key concepts and practice solving problems. It can also be helpful to create study guides or flashcards to review important equations and definitions. Additionally, try to get a good night's sleep before the exam and avoid cramming at the last minute.

3. How important is it to do well in graduate physics courses?

Doing well in graduate physics courses is important for a number of reasons. It not only demonstrates your understanding and mastery of the subject, but it also prepares you for future courses and research in your field. Good grades can also open up opportunities for scholarships, internships, and graduate programs.

4. How can I balance my workload and time effectively in graduate physics courses?

Balancing your workload and time effectively is crucial in graduate physics courses. It can be helpful to create a schedule or to-do list to prioritize tasks and manage your time efficiently. Make sure to also take breaks and maintain a healthy work-life balance. Don't be afraid to ask for help or delegate tasks if you are feeling overwhelmed.

5. What skills are necessary to do well in graduate physics courses?

To do well in graduate physics courses, it is important to have a strong foundation in math, problem-solving, and critical thinking. Time management, organization, and effective communication skills are also essential. Additionally, a passion for the subject and a willingness to persevere through challenges are key factors in succeeding in these courses.