Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Donald Trump Running for President

1. Jun 17, 2015 #1
    Donald Trump, today, announced his candidacy for President -- http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/16/politics/donald-trump-2016-announcement-elections/ -- as was alluded to https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ning-for-president.808180/page-4#post-5142830

I saw this thread, being skeptical about his net worth: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11466621

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2015 #2
    Its nice to see the Republican race over so early. No point continuing since the rest of the candidates got Trumped! o0)

I love being Canadian during the American elections. Now wheres my big bowl of popcorn :)

4. Jun 17, 2015 #3
  5. Jun 18, 2015 #4

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Donald Trump is nothing more than a carnival barker who is stoking his ego and engaging in the type of shameless self-promotion that has been his gimmick over the years (no doubt enhancing his visibility and thus his bottom line along the way). There is no chance whatsoever that Mr. Trump can possibly win the nomination or else be elected President, and I'm surprised that anyone takes this man or his run for the nomination seriously.

6. Jun 18, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not aware that anyone does. I think even HE isn't stupid enough to believe he has a chance. As statguy said, he's just a carnival barker, enhancing his visibility in preparation for his next TV show or whatever.

7. Jun 18, 2015 #6
  8. Jun 18, 2015 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, both PolitiFact and USA Today published serious debunkings of his speech (so serious they appear to have accidentally debunked sarcasm). That sure makes it sound like they are taking him super seriously. If I were a cynic who believed the media was biased I would suggest that they were trying to pretend he was serious in order to delegitimize the Republican field.

9. Jun 18, 2015 #8

mheslep

Gold Member

National Review, the creation of conservative William F Buckley and which has a history or pruning nuts out of the GOP, let everyone know what they think. Not only does NR not take The Donald as presidential candidate seriously, they let him have it, I think for attempting to turn presidential politics into his own carnival ride.

Witless Ape Rides Escalator

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  10. Jun 18, 2015 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ya gotta love The Donald. He adds entertainment to our lives (unintentionally) and SERIOUSLY made John Stewart's day with his announcement. What a buffoon. Sounds like The National Review has him pegged.

11. Jun 18, 2015 #10

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is wonderful news for comedians and those of us who watch them. Donald Trump is an almost infinite source of jokes.

12. Jun 18, 2015 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't understand why the US would elect Silvio Berlusconi-lite when the real one is available and looking for work.

13. Jun 21, 2015 #12

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

that's why we have the electoral college... just in case.

14. Jun 21, 2015 #13
    Because Berlusconi would have to show birth certificate proving that he was born on US? Berlusconi would presumably be able to produce such document, just birthers would be really unhappy about it.

15. Jun 22, 2015 #14

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Russ, I'm assuming that you are not the cynic who believes the media is biased. At any rate, why would PolitiFact and USA Today would pretend that Trump is a serious candidate to delegitimize the Republican field?

In the case of USA Today (a for-profit newspaper), the editors may well have felt that Donald Trump is simply too high-profile a figure to ignore when he made his bombastic "entrance" into the presidential nomination race (a wrong decision, IMHO). As for PolitiFact (a project of the Tampa Bay Times to fact-check politicians and political candidates), they may have been simply been doing their due diligence for all declared candidates (again, I feel that they are wasting their efforts on Trump, since I'm convinced that he's not even remotely interested in actually running for President).

16. Jun 25, 2015 #15
    Most media shows some bias, no matter how hard they try not to. But, to really cement your point, Fox News covered Trump's speech, I have never heard anyone call Fox liberal.

17. Jun 25, 2015 #16
    I think Barbara Walters is a good interviewer, and when I watched her on The View, IMHO, she didn't maintain bias towards either the left or right.

When I watch Fox News, whenever a Democratic supporter is on they always interrupt him or her. Don't do it to the Republican's though.

18. Jun 25, 2015 #17

jtbell

Trump is in second place among the Republican candidates in a New Hampshire poll, and gaining on Bush, currently 11% versus 16%.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/25/politics/republicans-new-hampshire-poll/

19. Jun 25, 2015 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Trump officially files:
    http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/245748-trump-officially-files-to-run-for-president

20. Jun 25, 2015 #19

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think it's going to be hilarious if he gets into the 10-man (or whatever it turns out to be) debate on Fox. How are the other candidates going to respond to his inanities? They must all be appalled at the thought.

21. Jun 25, 2015 #20

Evo

I wonder if he'll point at someone and say "you're fired". It "would" be funny.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook