Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Hillary Clinton Running for President

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Really? She's running for President? Who knew!

4. Apr 12, 2015 #3

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

LOL Twitter is the closest she's ever gotten to astroturf, either cyber-astroturf or hubby's.

5. Apr 12, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have no idea what you're talking about.

6. Apr 12, 2015 #5

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

A meaning of astroturf is a claque posing as a grassroots movement or clique. Another is artificial grass used on American football grounds and that her hubby bragged was in the bed of his El Camino 'pick-up' truck.

7. Apr 12, 2015 #6

Evo

So, that she is not associated with astroturf is a positive for her. Ok, I agree, I like her and hope she wins, I can't think of anyone that is as qualified as she is.

8. Apr 13, 2015 #7

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

You mistake me. Her use of Twitter instead of the mainstream media is an attempt to avoid media scrutiny. There's not much in 140 characters to scrutinize.

Her past performance in elected positions, appointed positions and unappointed positions precludes my approval.

9. Apr 13, 2015 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the race is hers to lose. Perhaps Jeb will give her a race...we'll see.

My prediction: I'm going to be sick and tired of hearing about Benghazie. Although it's slightly amusing to watch right-wingers get apoplectic about it o0).

10. Apr 13, 2015 #9

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

It's unlikely Hillary is behind the wheel: She said last year that she hadn't driven a car since 1996
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ey-rural-Iowa-VAN-poses-pics-gas-station.html

As central to stereotypical American life as is the automobile and automobile travel, that might be a serious lack.

Perhaps the identification of the apoplectic, about the 2012 Benghazi attack, should be military veterans that have stood in harm's way, rather than the poorly focused "right wingers." I am a Viet Nam Era veteran and I am very concerned by the debacle. I like to post this as my memorial to Ambassador Christopher Stevens, A Song of Peace to the melody of the tone poem from Sibelius' Finlandia

http://www.art101.com/peace/peace.mp3

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  11. Apr 13, 2015 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

Don't forget that Sec Clinton is also a combat veteran of sorts, according to Sec Clinton, having "landed under sniper fire".

12. Apr 13, 2015 #11

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Quite true. Someone mentioned a while back, regarding the appointment of the new energy secretary:

:biggrin:

13. Apr 13, 2015 #12

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

My comment will likely go far afield of OPie's intentions. A close paraphrase of Aristotle (Politics 4 ) is "It is accepted as democratic when public offices are allocated by lot; and as oligarchic when they are filled by election." A candidate seeking office must be viewed with deep suspicion.

14. Apr 13, 2015 #13

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Man, talk about Back to the Future! Look out! Here come the Nineties again! :eek: :wink: :rolleyes: o_O ?:) :sorry:

It's like national politics is stuck in one of those endless loops, like on Groundhog Day or the Twilight Zone, or maybe even Twilight (the one with the vampires.)
    [Look out! She's Undead!]

If it's Tuesday, it must be Clinton. If it's an even numbered date, it's a Bush (pick one).

It's time for someone (anyone) else.

15. Apr 13, 2015 #14
    I'll calling it now. Walker vs Clinton

16. Apr 13, 2015 #15

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a website called "skeletons in the closet" that dig into the presidential candidates backgrounds. Sadly most of them wouldn't be good enough to be elected dog catcher, but they manage to become front runners.

Sadly, most of us will vote for the candidate who claims to be the best for us vs looking at their record or history of How They Have Voted.

I worked in Newt Ginrich's district when he was in the house. How he became a front runner (even for a short time) speaks volumes of the smarts on the right.

I used to be ticked off about GW's stealing the presidency from Al Gore. Until I learned more about good old Al Gore. Now I suspect Al probably wouldn't have done better (and we ALL know how well GW did).

As American's we get to select from the two parties most extremist, bestest, butt kisser to choose from. Does that help anyone feel better??

17. Apr 13, 2015 #16
    I've always felt that elections were lose-lose. I pick the best of the worst. Anyone who actually zealously supports a candidate is foolish imo.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  18. Apr 13, 2015 #17

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

There is no effective difference. The two party system is good-cop-bad-cop on the world stage, guaranteed to elect a weasel. The Ruling Parties are all progressives suffering from the incontinent need to make-things-better by burying US in mountains of legislation and never rescinding any of it.

Edit: Removed inappropriate link.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  19. Apr 13, 2015 #18

OCR

There is a problem with the forum... or something...
    Evo did not post that...
    I've seen that misdirect on several other posts, too...

Astroturfing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  20. Apr 13, 2015 #19

Evo

Thanks, I corrected Greg's post, weird.

21. Apr 13, 2015 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This makes no sense to me. While it's important to be connected to mainstream America, how does one's driving pattern pertain to that? Why would a candidate's driving count as qualification criteria? This is an example of "fluff" and folks, we're gonna be seeing an awful lot of fluff for the next few years. The media loves that stuff!

I have close family members who worked for the State Department, as professionals. Being posted in areas of unrest isn't for the weak of heart. It can be, erm, spooky - if you get my drift.

Have you read the Benghazi Report?

https://intelligence.house.gov/sites/intelligence.house.gov/files/documents/Benghazi Report.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook