Done mult. times need the correct answer w/in an hr help

• Thread starter Blink691
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who is struggling to solve a physics problem involving a woman's mass, an elevator, and the forces acting upon her. The person has attempted to use the equation F=ma to calculate the acceleration of the elevator, but has not provided any justification for why this equation should be used or how it applies to the problem at hand. They are seeking help and clarification on their reasoning and how to correctly solve the problem.
Blink691
A woman of mass 51 kg is standing in an elevator. If the elevator floor pushes up on her feet with a force of 405 N, what is the acceleration of the elevator?
______m/s2 down

So far I've used the F=ma equations and I've gotten 7.94 m/s which was wrong and then I figured maybe it was negative since its down and submitted -7.94. Then some how I redid it and got 27.. not sure where that came from but I'm at a loss and I need an answer within an hour. Can someone get to the bottom of this for me? I don't understand why the first solution I got was wrong. Help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you're just blindly plugging things into formulae. Have you learned how to actually analyze problems involving forces?

yes, I've been taught briefly how to do this, that's why I'm asking for help. My prof is horrible and I've checked my work multiple times and it only makes sense that the first answer I got is correct. I know the website we have to use has been marking correct answers incorrectly, but I just wanted someone to check my work and hopefully get to the bottom of this. I've spent too much time on this one problem and I can't find anyone in my class who actually understands this question, other than the way I do. So I'd like help please, that's what this is for.

Blink691 said:
yes, I've been taught briefly how to do this,
So then share your analysis! That way, we can confirm if you're doing it correctly, or point out where you made a mistake.

I did... I said I used... F=ma which would be A=f/m for acceleration which I used. So i plugged A= 405N/51kg and got 7.94 which should be the correct way as I've been told. Why am I not getting the right answer with this?

Blink691 said:
I did... I said I used... F=ma which would be A=f/m for acceleration which I used.
But why did you use that equation? In what way did you analyze the problem that led you to conclude that you use F=ma like that?

Incidentally, what precisely is being represented in your calculation by the letters F, m, and a?

Its an equation used in physics often and that's what's been covered in my class. So it only makes sense to use an equation that uses F=force, m=mass, and a= acceleration. Did you not know what that meant? I figured if someone were to help me with this question they would know what the equation stood for in order to help me, wouldn't you need to know that since I obviously don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Now that I stated what each part is, any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong and how to solve this problem?

force diagram!

Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks though!

Blink691 said:
Its an equation used in physics often and that's what's been covered in my class. So it only makes sense to use an equation that uses F=force, m=mass, and a= acceleration.
Because F=ma involves a force, a mass, and an acceleration, it does stand to reason that it might be a useful equation to use. But you have done nothing to justify its use in any manner whatsoever -- what quality does this problem have that allows you to make the calculation you are making?

Now that I stated what each part is,
Actually, you haven't. There are lots of forces, masses, and accelerations in the world. You have to be more specific.

any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong and how to solve this problem?
I do have a pretty good idea -- you haven't yet grasped the physics of the problem. A good way to start correcting that is by thinking more carefully about the problem -- think about what physical quantities are in the problem, think about what meaning you are assigning to letters, and think about the physical principles that allow you to use equations to relate physical quantities.

1. What does "Done mult. times need the correct answer w/in an hr help" mean?

This phrase typically refers to a task or problem that needs to be completed or solved multiple times within a short time frame (within an hour). It is asking for assistance in finding the correct solution or answer within that time limit.

2. Why is it important to complete a task or solve a problem within an hour?

There could be various reasons for the time constraint, such as meeting a deadline or quickly resolving an urgent issue. It is important because it shows efficiency and productivity, and it can also prevent further complications or delays.

3. How can I ensure that I find the correct answer within an hour?

To increase the chances of finding the correct answer within an hour, you can break down the task or problem into smaller, manageable chunks and prioritize them. You can also use shortcuts or techniques that you are familiar with, or seek assistance from others who have experience in the subject.

4. What should I do if I cannot find the correct answer within an hour?

If you are unable to find the correct answer within an hour, it is important to communicate this to whoever is expecting it. You can explain the steps you have taken and the challenges you have encountered, and ask for an extension or additional resources to help you find the answer.

5. Can I get help from someone else to find the correct answer within an hour?

Yes, seeking help from others is a common and effective approach to finding the correct answer within a short time frame. You can collaborate with coworkers or classmates, or seek assistance from experts or online resources. Just make sure to properly credit any help you receive.