1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't know where to start when doing these proofs

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    Can anyone please help me with this proof

Prove that every positive integer, ending in 5 creates a number that when squared ends in 25

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you tried?

4. Nov 19, 2005 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If n is some number that ends in 5, write an equation for n that expresses this fact. If I wanted to say, for example, that n was square, I would write an equation like n = m². If I wanted to express that n was divisible by 14, I would write n = 14k. So what kind of thing should you write to express the fact that n ends in 5?

5. Nov 19, 2005 #4
    yea, Buit I'm not sure what the proper way to start it off is

6. Nov 19, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know any way to start it off?

7. Nov 19, 2005 #6
    Would it be n= k + 5

8. Nov 19, 2005 #7
    Or would it be n = 5k

9. Nov 19, 2005 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sometimes, one of the first things I do when I have a conjecture is to work out particular examples to see if my conjecture works in those examples.

For your two guesses, I should first ask what you mean by n and k. Next, have you tried particular values to see if it gives you what you want?

10. Nov 19, 2005 #9
    ok, thanks for your help I'll keep trying

11. Nov 19, 2005 #10

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Posts 6 and 7 are a good start, although one of them will be more useful. Also, in both cases, you'll have to say more about k. For example, if k = 2 then neither k+5 = 7 nor 5k = 10 ends in 5. Note that n = k+5 and n = 5k don't fail for the same k all the time, 2 just happens to be a case where they both fail. k = 3 on the other hand is a case where k+5 fails but 5k works (8 doesn't end in 5, but 15 does). In what cases does k+5 work, i.e. for what values of k? What about 5k? This should tell you what further things you have to say about k. And rather than just saying them about k, work those facts into your expression. For example, if k has to be a perfect cube for n = k+5 to work, then instead write n = k³ + 5, rather than saying, "n = k + 5, where k is a cube."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?