Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't use your cell phone during the class

1. Sep 27, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2006 #2
    Don't even bring your cell phone into class at all!

I don't know about college, but what high school student NEEDS a cell phone, Especially at school?
  4. Sep 27, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that took nerve...not only did that kid have the phone on and it rang in class, but he was actually talking on it!

Nobody needs a cell phone while in class.
  5. Sep 27, 2006 #4
  6. Sep 27, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't tell you how much I have wanted to do that! I have watched this five times in a row. I feel GOOD now!
  7. Sep 27, 2006 #6
    Yes, your honor. i'd like to introduce this video into evidence as Exhibit A.
  8. Sep 27, 2006 #7

Gold Member

What's wrong with having your phone in class?as long as the ringer's off, I don't see a problem
    the teachers even let us txt eachother when there's ALBSOLUTELY nothing to do
  9. Sep 27, 2006 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That was freaking hilarious!

I loved it.
  10. Sep 27, 2006 #9
    What's really funny, I once saw a speaker at a conference not realize that it was actually his cell phone going off! It was very embarrasing for him.
  11. Sep 27, 2006 #10
    The guy in the video is a lousy speaker, by the way. Less sympathy from me.
  12. Sep 27, 2006 #11
    Haha that is awesome. I hate it when people's phones are ringing in class it is so distracting. Why can't they just turn it on silent or vibrate like everyone else?
  13. Sep 28, 2006 #12

Definitely a set-up.

Some people in my old group used to get their secretaries to phone them when giving lectures - just to let the kids now what it feels like.

Plus there's the old urban myth of a lecturer having a bucket of water at the front for any phones that go off - one does go off and sure enough the guy comes down from his seat and drops his phone in the bucket.
  14. Sep 28, 2006 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it was a "partial set-up." You can hear the camera man go "ohhhh.." and even a chuckle as though he knew what was going to happen. My guess is that the speaker said to the camera guy, "if any phone starts to ring, be sure you get it on tape." WHy else would the camera pan immediately to the guy on the phone? Maybe it is a total set-up and the guy was planted, but it doesn't have that "feel" of a totally rehearsed bit.

And if the speaker is really seething inside, that would explain why his speaking ability falls apart completely right after the phone rings.

And on the larger topic: in high school? NO phones on. At All. period. full stop. no gray areas. end of discussion.
  15. Sep 28, 2006 #14
    I thought it felt "setupy." Either way though, it was hilarious!
  16. Sep 28, 2006 #15
    yeah I agree that people in primary and high school don't need phones at all. Maybe when they go out they a mobile might be useful, but they ALL have phones and they all bring the phones to school. As a result you get these little gits who can't stop 'txting' their friends with inane messages (not referring to you yomamma).

It's the most annoying thing for me to see little kids with phones that constantly 'txt'. I mean at school they would 'txt' each other to say that they are 2 minutes from the canteen??

Awesome video even if it was staged!
  17. Sep 28, 2006 #16

Has the high frequency ring tone phenomena hit the US yet?

Over here, the kids use frequencies which the teachers can no longer hear to communicate with each over (and make dogs go crazy :biggrin: )
  18. Sep 28, 2006 #17
    Ditto. I think the range of their voice is < 5m. As soon as they are beyond that, they need cell phones to communicate. :grumpy:
  19. Sep 28, 2006 #18

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was wondering about that myself. It's hit TV shows. In an episode of Law and Order, the investigators keep having the young people they're questioning answer 'inaudible' cell phones in the middle of questioning.

Now, if the person just inhales enough helium prior to talking on his cell phone, he'll be all set with the teacher none the wiser. :rofl:
  20. Oct 1, 2006 #19
    Pssssssssssssssst, my stat professor would answer his calls right in the middle of lecture and go, what were we talking about?
  21. Oct 1, 2006 #20
    :biggrin: me too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?