1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doppler Effect of a 1-kilohertz sound

1. Jun 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A source of 1-kilohertz sound is moving straight toward you at a speed .9 times the speed of sound. The frequency you receive is:

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \nu = \frac{v}{\lambda} [/tex]

[tex] f' = \frac{v + v'}{v} f [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

When I attempt the solution I get [tex] f' = \frac{v + .9v}{v} f = 1.9 f [/tex]. However, that is not correct. The answer is 10 f. What am I missing?

Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your sign on the relative velocity probably. You could also work on the algebra that let you change f'=1.9*f into f=1.9*f'. That doesn't seem right either.

4. Jun 20, 2008 #3
    Well, the source is moving toward you. So the direction of the sound and the source should have the same sign. I dont know. I am missing something small I am sure, because this is a GRE question so it shouldn't take long to solve.

5. Jun 20, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The formula I've got is f'=f*v/(v+vr). f' is observed frequency, f is emitted frequency. vr is radial component of source velocity. v is speed of sound. If it's moving towards you, you want an increase in frequency. That mean vr should be negative to make numerator larger than denominator.

6. Jun 20, 2008 #5
    Ok, thx. The formula I was using seems to be for a moving listener not a moving source.

I see how you justify making the vr negative. However it still seems odd since vr and v are going in the same direction, know what I mean?

7. Jun 20, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

v is the speed of sound. It's isn't going in any particular direction. vr is coming towards you. Apparently according to the conventions of that formula that makes vr negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?