Double delta potential -- Degeneracy of bound states in one dimension?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
LagrangeEuler
Messages
711
Reaction score
22
I have a question from the youtube lecture

That part starts after 42 minutes and 47 seconds.
Balakrishnan said that if delta barriers are very distant (largely separated) then we have degeneracy. I do not understand how this is possible when in 1d problems there is no degeneracy for bond states.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I have two identical delta functions very far away and one particle, to a very good approximation it is either in potential #1 or in potential #2. They have the same energy (to an even better approximation) so the system is degenerate.
 
Last edited:
So if I understand you well it is practical like two separate systems? Because of how to comment on this in the context of that in the one-dimensional problems there is no degeneration in the case of bond states.