Double Integrals Advice - Please

• Thread starter Nima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the volume generated by the area bounded by the curves y = x^3 and y = x^(1/3), using the function z = x^2.y. The range of variables x and y are determined, with the correct range for y being between the two curves rather than 0 and the difference between the two curves. The conversation also clarifies that the volume is generated as the product of the area and the function z(x, y), projected in 3-D.
Nima
Hi, I have a question and it asks me to evaluate the volume generated by the area bounded by y = x^3 and y = x^(1/3) and the function z = x^2.y

I'm just having a few problems with setting up the ranges of my variables x and y. I drew a sketch of the area in the x-y plane but I'm not sure what my ranges should be. My guess is: 0 <= x <= 1 and 0 <= y <= [x^(1/3) - x^3].

Help appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As far as the xy-plane is concerned, yes, you can take 0< x< 1 and
x3< y< x1/3.

But I am concerned about the lower boundary. Apparently z= x2y is an upper boundary. What is the lower boundary?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
As far as the xy-plane is concerned, yes, you can take 0< x< 1 and
x3[/sub]< y< x1/3.

But I am concerned about the lower boundary. Apparently z= x2y is an upper boundary. What is the lower boundary?

Sorry, there seems to be confusion here, on my part at least.

1.) Your variable ranges are different to mine. Why is mine wrong, and why is yours right?

2.) What are you talking about, lower boundary? We have an area on the x-y plane and we revolve this to the function z = x^2.y to form a volume. Double Integral (x^2.y) dxdy using our variable ranges will evaluate this volume.

Look at your graph. for each point in the area, y is between the two curves: y is between x3 and x1/3. NOT between 0 and x1/3- x3.

You said in your first post that you wanted to find the volume of the region generated but didn't say HOW it was generated. I don't understand what you mean by "revolve this to the function z = x^2.y "

Is this a volume of revolution? If so, what axis are you revolving around?

HallsofIvy said:
Look at your graph. for each point in the area, y is between the two curves: y is between x3 and x1/3. NOT between 0 and x1/3- x3.

You said in your first post that you wanted to find the volume of the region generated but didn't say HOW it was generated. I don't understand what you mean by "revolve this to the function z = x^2.y "

Is this a volume of revolution? If so, what axis are you revolving around?
Thanks, I now understand why my range for y was wrong and yours is right. :)

Sorry, my unclear wording - You have an area in the x-y plane and the volume is generated as: area * height, where height = z(x, y). :. this area is projected in 3-D up to the function z(x, y) to form a volume under z(x, y) with the given x-y plane area as its base.

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral used in calculus to find the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a region in the xy-plane.

2. How is a double integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral involves finding the area under a curve on a single axis. A double integral extends this concept to find the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. It requires integrating over two axes instead of just one.

3. When should I use a double integral?

Double integrals are used to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects or the area between two curves. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia.

4. What are the steps for solving a double integral?

The general steps for solving a double integral are:1. Determine the limits of integration for both variables.2. Set up the integrand, which is a function of both variables.3. Evaluate the inner integral first, treating the outer variable as a constant.4. Evaluate the outer integral using the result from the inner integral.5. Simplify the result if possible.

5. Are there any tips for solving double integrals?

One tip for solving double integrals is to draw a graph of the region and the curves involved to visualize the problem. This can help with determining the limits of integration. Another tip is to carefully choose the order of integration, as switching the order may make the integral easier to solve. It is also important to check your work by calculating the integral using a different method, such as using a calculator or software program.