1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integration of an exp function

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please help I need to find the area of e^(-x^2) with the domain 0 is less than or equal to y which is less than or equal to 1 and y is less than or equal to x which is less than or equal to one

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set up the equation ∫ ∫ e^(-x^2) dydx with values y=x and y=0 and x=1 and x=0
    attempted to integrate but struggling.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2
    Let's see your attempt at integration then

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3
    Well I started by integrating with respect to y and got ye^(-x^2)dx,I then solved for the values y=x and y=0 leaving xe^(-x^2)dx and unsure of if my first steps are correct and how to continue.
    My idea for a next step would be integration by substitution u=-x^2 but unsure as to whether that would work

5. Mar 22, 2012 #4
    why -x^2?
    I'd just go for x^2

Try it and see what happens

6. Mar 22, 2012 #5
    Ok here goes u= x^2 that gives ∫ e^(-u) integration by substitution gives me -(e^x^2)/2
    Possibly :)

Now do I just solve for x=1 and x=y?

7. Mar 22, 2012 #6
    When you did your first integration, you essentially integrated the strip from 0 to y=x, in the second integration you are taking all of those strips from 0 to 1, you don't need to solve for x=1 or x=y, you just need to evaluate the integral from 0 to 1

8. Mar 22, 2012 #7
    Sorry when I said solve I meant evaluate.
    Could I switch the order of integration so when I evaluate after integrating a second time I lose x and y from the equation?

9. Mar 22, 2012 #8
    Try it and see what happens
    You'll have trouble evaluating it if you do the dx integration first however, the integral of e^(-x^2)dx isn't nice, it isn't solvable in terms of elementary functions. If you're interested, the name of the solution is the error function.

10. Mar 22, 2012 #9
    Thanks for your help will just leave it now and not confuse myself even more

11. Mar 22, 2012 #10
    The best way to get use to it is to just play about with it and see what you end up with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook