1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double major in chemE and materials science?

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    So i was on my school's website and i noticed that the general education requirements for chemE and materials science is EXACTLY the same.
    I also think i can be finished with all of the general ed requirements at the end of this year, since i got a head start with AP classes last year.

If i can get into both departments at the end of this year with early admission, how long do you think i would be in school for a double major in cheme and materials science?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2
    You would really have to ask a school adviser about this. But, why do both of these majors? There are plenty of opportunities within each one.
  4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    if theres anything I've learned from double majoring, its to not spread yourself thin. Do one subject right rather than two lackluster. Surely you'd be at full capacity every semester trying to pull this off.
  5. Oct 30, 2007 #4
    well, like i said, i just noticed, so im not jumping into this idea yet.

BUt, i am still wondering if the extra work will be rewarded in the end?
    i just have a hunch that it probably wont, but what do you guys think?

will it make job hunting easier?
  6. Oct 30, 2007 #5
    I think it would make more sense to pick one of the two and just take complementary courses. Keep in mind that although you may be able to fit all of those courses in, things like research and/or internships are important as well. You may also want to get involved in clubs or groups or just want some time to relax. What ekrim said is right on. I would also guess that it probably would not make much of a difference when job hunting since a company looking for a chemical engineer probably wants a chemical engineer, not a materials scientist, and vice versa. From what I understand, chemical engineering is a tough major anyways and would surely keep you busy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?