Double major physics and russian?

In summary, I think it would be a waste of money and time to get a degree in Russian if you want to go into physics. However, if you want to work in the intelligence community or as a data analyst, having a degree in Russian would give you an advantage.
Defenestrator
Right now I am a freshman studying physics and considering adding russian as a second major. I already speak it pretty fluently, so the only challenging part would be the required literature classes. With a goal of going to grad school in physics, will a russian degree even matter, or would my language skills alone give the same benefits?

Also, on an unrelated note, does NASA have any need for russian speaking U.S. citizens other than translators?

Physics news on Phys.org
Defenestrator said:
Right now I am a freshman studying physics and considering adding russian as a second major. I already speak pretty fluently, so the only challenging part would be the required literature classes.
If you already speak Russian fluently I fail to see what the degree would add to your skill set other then saying "I have a degree in Russian." Seems like a waste of money and time to me you'd be better off learning something you don't already know.

Do you want a job with the CIA/NSA? Being accredited in Russian would be a leg-up, IMO, although less so than during the 60s.

No, it's not going to help you. NASA has plenty of native Russian speakers working there already. When I worked at a NASA center, I had Russian native speakers in offices on both sides of me. I studied Russian in college, and while it was interesting, I didn't bother with the minor because I didn't think it would really come in useful. It hasn't; I wish I had taken Spanish or German instead, those would have been useful.

Did you mean NSA? It's not likely that NASA would have a high demand for Russian speakers, IMO. The chatter in major languages collected by the NSA needs lots of foreign-language speakers, though. I think we have seen this weakness in the failure to recruit enough skilled interpreters in Middle East languages before the run-up to Iraq and Afghanistan.

When you have VERY big ears and lots of computing/storage ability, you also need lots of skilled analysts to sort through all the chaff.

1. What are the benefits of double majoring in physics and Russian?

Double majoring in physics and Russian allows students to gain a strong foundation in both fields and opens up a wide range of career opportunities. It also fosters critical thinking, problem-solving, and language skills.

2. Is it difficult to balance the workload of two majors?

Double majoring in physics and Russian can be challenging, but it is manageable with proper time management and efficient study habits. It is important to prioritize and stay organized to balance the workload effectively.

3. Are there any specific career paths for double majors in physics and Russian?

Double majors in physics and Russian have a variety of career options, including research, teaching, translation, and international relations. They can work in industries such as technology, academia, government, and the arts.

4. How will studying Russian complement studying physics?

Studying Russian provides a unique perspective in understanding the world and how it relates to the scientific field. It also exposes students to diverse cultures and enhances their communication skills, which are essential in any scientific career.

5. Can I study abroad while double majoring in physics and Russian?

Yes, many universities offer study abroad programs for students to immerse themselves in the Russian language and culture. Studying abroad can enhance language proficiency and provide valuable cross-cultural experiences that can benefit both majors.