Double Slit Diffraction:Finding Greatest Angle for Minimum

In summary, double-slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light or particles pass through two parallel slits, creating an interference pattern. The greatest angle for minimum diffraction can be calculated using the equation sinθ = mλ/d, and it is important because it determines the smallest angle at which the diffraction pattern can be observed. Changing the distance between the slits affects the angle of diffraction minimum, with a wider distance leading to a smaller angle. Additionally, the double-slit diffraction experiment can be performed with any type of coherent light or particles as long as they have a consistent wavelength and can pass through the slits without significant scattering or absorption.
Zach Hughes
I'm at wits end. I hate WileyPlus. Part A, B and C are correct. I cannot figure out what Part D is -- all of the answers I am getting are wrong.

Homework Statement

Screen_Shot_2015_04_27_at_10_24_49_PM.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_2921.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Zach Hughes said:
I'm at wits end. I hate WileyPlus. Part A, B and C are correct. I cannot figure out what Part D is -- all of the answers I am getting are wrong.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_2921.jpg

What is the condition for a minimum?

1. What is double-slit diffraction?

Double-slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a beam of light or particles passes through two parallel slits and produces an interference pattern on a screen. It is a demonstration of the wave-like nature of light and particles.

2. How is the greatest angle for minimum diffraction found?

The greatest angle for minimum diffraction, also known as the angle of diffraction minimum, can be calculated using the equation sinθ = mλ/d, where θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the diffraction pattern, λ is the wavelength of the light or particles, and d is the distance between the two slits. By finding the value of θ for m = 0, the greatest angle for minimum diffraction can be determined.

3. Why is the angle of diffraction minimum important?

The angle of diffraction minimum is important because it determines the smallest angle at which the diffraction pattern can be observed. This angle can be used to calculate the wavelength of the light or particles passing through the slits, which is important for understanding the behavior of light and particles in various experiments and applications.

4. How does changing the distance between the slits affect the angle of diffraction minimum?

As the distance between the slits increases, the angle of diffraction minimum decreases. This is because the diffraction pattern becomes wider and the peaks become less pronounced, making it more difficult to determine the angle of minimum diffraction. Conversely, as the distance between the slits decreases, the angle of diffraction minimum increases.

5. Can the double-slit diffraction experiment be performed with any type of light or particles?

Yes, the double-slit diffraction experiment can be performed with any type of coherent light or particles, such as lasers, electrons, or even atoms. The only requirement is that the light or particles must have a consistent wavelength and be able to pass through the slits without being significantly scattered or absorbed.