1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit Experiment With White Light

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    I have a physics assignment which is asking me what the fringe pattern would look like if white light was passed through a double slit. Would it look like a single light which became gradually darker the further away it got from the central maximum?
    Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    I do not know what level of Physics you are working at. I have a wikipedia link which I will post below and a youtube video which might help. With the wikipedia extract, you might not need to read the whole thing but just pick out the bits that apply to your work, like I doubt you would need to know about Quantum versions of the experiment.

Twin Slit (Wikipedia)

Hope this helped you.

4. Mar 6, 2008 #3
    RE: Double Slit

Hi, i dont think i gave enough information in my question.
    What would the fringe seperation look like for white light (multiple frequencies) compared for example to blue light (one frequency). Would it look like a single beam which was bright in the middle and less bright as you went away from the middle, or would there still be several fringes which were less aparent because of all the different frequencies of light constructing in different places?
    Thanks in Advance
  5. Dec 13, 2008 #4
    Hope this explains everything
  6. Apr 23, 2011 #5
    Yes it does . Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?