1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit: Find Longest Wavelength

1. Jan 18, 2006 #1
    Question: Calculate the longest wavelength of light falling on double slits separated by 1200nm for which there is a first-order maximum. In what part of the spectrum is the light?

Answer in Book: 12nm

my problem: the formula i thought you would use is sin(theta) = m(wavelength)/d?? However you do not know an angle? any ideas??
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Of course [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2} < \theta < \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. Can you solve it now?
  4. Jan 18, 2006 #3
    yeah i get what that means and that theta could not be greater then 90 or less then -90, so then how do i incorperate that into the equation? and get 12 nm?:confused:
  5. Jan 18, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Plugging theta in would give

[tex]\lambda _{max} \approx d[/tex]

Which according to your book is wrong. I'm stunned. I suppose the answer in the book is wrong: they've forgotten the zeros.
  6. Jan 18, 2006 #5
    so the biggest possible wavelength that could be created would be slightly under the width between the two slits?? and thanx a lot for your help:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?