Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Double Slit: Find Longest Wavelength

1. Jan 18, 2006 #1
    Question: Calculate the longest wavelength of light falling on double slits separated by 1200nm for which there is a first-order maximum. In what part of the spectrum is the light?

Answer in Book: 12nm

my problem: the formula i thought you would use is sin(theta) = m(wavelength)/d?? However you do not know an angle? any ideas??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2006 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Of course [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2} < \theta < \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. Can you solve it now?

4. Jan 18, 2006 #3
    yeah i get what that means and that theta could not be greater then 90 or less then -90, so then how do i incorperate that into the equation? and get 12 nm?:confused:

5. Jan 18, 2006 #4

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Plugging theta in would give

[tex]\lambda _{max} \approx d[/tex]

Which according to your book is wrong. I'm stunned. I suppose the answer in the book is wrong: they've forgotten the zeros.

6. Jan 18, 2006 #5
    so the biggest possible wavelength that could be created would be slightly under the width between the two slits?? and thanx a lot for your help:smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook