1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DOUBLE slit interference experiment

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    the double slit interference experiment is set up and the fringes are displayed on screen. Then the whole apparatus is immersed in the nearest swimming pool. How does the fringe pattern change?? Which website I can get information?? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a homework problem correct? (I believe I have seen it on mastering physics.)

First, if you post your thoughts on the problem to show you have made some effort you can get help in the homework help forms here. Also, if you want a good website for summaries of intro physics topics you can try:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

4. Jun 26, 2008 #3
    No, it's past yr question. I dun understand wat question is ??? no idea.. I oledi tried to search information on internet.. still can't get it.....

when the whole apparatus place on the table, dark & light pattern display on the screen if using light source.

do u think the whole apparatus including light source is immersed in the water????? or using other source???

5. Jun 26, 2008 #4
    picture it this way, instead of doing the experiment in air, you are doing it in water.

what is the formula concerning the fringe separation? which of the parameters in it changes when the wave is traveling in water and not in air?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?