Double Slit Wave Interference With Single Electrons

In summary, wavelike interference patterns are observed in the double slit experiment even when electrons are fired one by one. However, the spiral equation used to describe the precession of an electron's magnetic moment does not have any relationship to the wave interference patterns observed in the double slit experiment.
metastable
I have heard that wavelike interference patterns are observed in the double slit experiment even when electrons are fired one by one.

single-electron-image.jpg

https://physicsworld.com/a/the-double-slit-experiment/

My knowledge on the experimental setup is very basic. The reason I am posting here is out of curiosity relating to an equation I helped formulate describing a spiral superimposed on a sphere, which was "inspired" by the larmor precession of an electron magnetic moment in a changing magnetic field. I am not claiming the spiral equation in any way represents an actual electron. Still, I observe the spiral itself when viewed from many different angles resembles a wave interference pattern. My question is does the wave-interference-like-pattern visible in the spiral have any relationship to the wave-interference-like-pattern visible in the one-by-one-electron double slit wave interference experiment?

In this video of single electron precession, the electron magnetic moment "appears" to trace a spiral...

This animation shows an increasingly tight spiral arc from the north to the south pole of the surface of a sphere:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/defining-vectors.972018/
sphere-spiral-n-orbits-3-gif.gif

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/defining-vectors.972018/

^Notice as the number of "turns" increases, a wavelike interference pattern appears to develop...

Physics news on Phys.org
metastable said:
My question is does the wave-interference-like-pattern visible in the spiral have any relationship to the wave-interference-like-pattern visible in the one-by-one-electron double slit wave interference experiment?
Answer: No, none at all.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is double slit wave interference with single electrons?

Double slit wave interference with single electrons is a phenomenon that occurs when a single electron passes through two parallel slits and creates an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This is similar to the classic double slit experiment with light, but instead of waves of light, it is a single electron that is behaving like a wave.

2. How does this phenomenon occur?

This phenomenon occurs due to the wave-like nature of electrons. When a single electron is fired through the two slits, it creates a wave that passes through both slits and interferes with itself. This interference results in a pattern of bright and dark fringes on the screen behind the slits.

3. What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter. It shows that even particles like electrons can exhibit wave-like behavior, and it challenges our traditional understanding of the behavior of matter.

4. Can this phenomenon be observed with other particles?

Yes, this phenomenon has been observed with other particles such as neutrons, protons, and even large molecules like buckyballs. It further supports the idea of wave-particle duality and shows that this behavior is not limited to just electrons.

5. What are the practical applications of this experiment?

While this experiment may seem abstract, it has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography. Understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level is crucial for developing new technologies that rely on quantum mechanics.