1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubling the energy of an oscillating mass on a spring

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Attached.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From my calculations, option A is correct. What am I doing wrong? Also, I can't find a relationship between amplitude and energy.

[tex]{ KE }_{ max }=\frac { 1 }{ 2 } m{ { v }_{ max } }^{ 2 }\\ =\frac { 1 }{ 2 } m{ (rω) }^{ 2 }\\ =\frac { 1 }{ 2 } mr^{ 2 }{ ω }^{ 2 }\\ { { KE }'_{ max } }=\frac { 1 }{ 2 } mr^{ 2 }{ (\sqrt { 2 } ω })^{ 2 }\\ =m{ r }^{ 2 }{ ω }^{ 2 }\\ =2{ KE }_{ max }[/tex]

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

By conservation of mechanical energy during SHM,

KE + PE = constant.

Total energy = constant = ½kA2

Where A is the amplitude, so option A should be correct.

4. Apr 16, 2013 #3
    Option A doesn't involve amplitudes though. You mean option B?

5. Apr 16, 2013 #4
    Okay, I understand now how I increasing the amplitude by √2 doubles total energy. However, it seems that increasing angular frequency by √2 also doubles total energy, so are both option A and option B correct?

6. Apr 16, 2013 #5

BruceW

Homework Helper

yep. Nice work!

Edit: is the mark scheme saying that only B is correct? as you said, it looks like A and B are both true.

7. Apr 16, 2013 #6
    Arghh... I'm not sure how my physics professor missed that. Now I'm a little nervous that she might mark my correct answers as wrong for the final tomorrow.

Thanks for the help! :)

8. Apr 16, 2013 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I meant option B, sorry.

In your equations, you used v=rω which is for circular motion. Your motion happens to be a mass oscillation.

9. Apr 16, 2013 #8
    Oh, I see. This is my fault for plugging and chugging. I have to understand what the equations mean.

So I can only use v=rω for circular motion (i.e. two-dimensional oscillations) only? It doesn't apply to one-dimensional oscillations?

10. Apr 16, 2013 #9

BruceW

Homework Helper

still, even for mass oscillation, the 'angular frequency' is defined by the equation:
    [tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} [/tex]
    Even though it is not related to a circular motion. So I think A and B should both be correct.

Edit: but yeah, as rockfreak says, it is not circular motion, so the calculation should be a bit different.

11. Apr 16, 2013 #10

BruceW

Homework Helper

yeah. After all, the velocity in one-dimensional SHM should be varying, right?

12. Apr 16, 2013 #11
    Yes, it does vary. But what does that have to do with it?

30 seconds of thinking...

Oh wow! Brilliant!

So the equation v=rω makes use of the fact that the magnitude of velocity in circular motion stays constant!

13. Apr 16, 2013 #12

BruceW

Homework Helper

yes, for uniform circular motion.

edit: I mean yes, for uniform circular motion the magnitude of velocity is constant, so the angular frequency is constant. (i.e. a parameter of the system).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted