Doubt about solving a simple quadratic equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct method for solving the equation ##x^2 = 4##, which is often presented incorrectly by students. The formal approach involves taking the principal square root of both sides and using the definition ##\sqrt{k^2} = |k|##, leading to two solutions: ##x=2## or ##x=-2##. Other methods, such as factoring, can also be used to solve the equation. It is important for teachers to emphasize the formal approach to avoid confusion among students.
issacnewton
Homework Statement
Solve ##x^2 = 4##
Relevant Equations
rules of factoring and absolute values
I was thinking of this simple equation here, ## x^2 = 4##. Many students present the solution as follows.
$$ x^2 = 4 $$
$$ \therefore x = \sqrt{4} = \pm 2 $$
Now, even though the final answer is correct, there is a mistake in arriving at the solution. Square root symbol means that we have to take positive square root only. Following is a correct method in my opinion.
$$ x^2 = 4 $$
$$ \therefore |x|^2 = |2|^2 $$
$$ \sqrt{|x|^2} = \sqrt{|2|^2}$$
Now, since, ## |y| = \sqrt{y^2} ## for any ##y##, we have
$$ ||x|| = ||2|| $$
$$ |x| = |2| = 2 $$
Now, either ##x \geq 0 ## or ## x < 0 ##, so, we get two solutions. ##x = 2 ## and ## - x = 2 ##. So, finally, we have ## x= 2## or ##x = -2##
I think this would be rigorous way of solving this. I myself was confused about this for a while. How do you see students solving such an equation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have an equation like ##x^{2} = 4##, the way I'd do it "formally" is to take the principal square root of both sides:

##\sqrt{x^{2}} = \sqrt{4}##

and then use the definition of the principal square root that you alluded to, ##\sqrt{k^{2}} = |k|##,

##|x| = 2##

And this leads to ##x=\pm2##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Mark44
IssacNewton said:
Homework Statement:: Solve ##x^2 = 4##
Homework Equations:: rules of factoring and absolute values

I was thinking of this simple equation here, ## x^2 = 4##. Many students present the solution as follows.
$$ x^2 = 4 $$
$$ \therefore x = \sqrt{4} = \pm 2 $$
$$ x^2 = 4 $$
$$ \therefore x = \pm \sqrt{4} = \pm 2 $$

Likes FactChecker and Mark44
Or x2 = 4
x2 - 4 = 0
(x+2)(x-2) = 0
x+2 = 0 or x-2 = 0
x = 2 or -2.

Likes hmmm27 and PeroK
Yes, factoring is another way to solve this. But, I see lot of students confused about the use of square root. So, while teaching, it would be helpful to tell about the formal approach.

IssacNewton said:
Yes, factoring is another way to solve this. But, I see lot of students confused about the use of square root. So, while teaching, it would be helpful to tell about the formal approach.
Technically speaking, ##\sqrt{x^2\ } = |x|##.

Thanks

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation that contains only terms of degree 2, meaning the highest exponent on any variable is 2. It is typically written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are multiple ways to solve a quadratic equation, including factoring, using the quadratic formula, and completing the square. The method you use will depend on the specific equation and your personal preference.

Why is it important to solve a quadratic equation?

Solving a quadratic equation allows you to find the values of the variable that make the equation true. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function or determining the roots of a projectile's trajectory.

Can all quadratic equations be solved?

Yes, all quadratic equations can be solved using the methods mentioned above. However, some equations may have complex or imaginary solutions, which may not be applicable in certain contexts.

What are some common mistakes when solving quadratic equations?

Some common mistakes when solving quadratic equations include forgetting to distribute a negative sign, making a mistake when simplifying fractions, and forgetting to include all possible solutions, including complex or imaginary solutions. It is important to double-check your work and be thorough in your solutions.