1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubts about a master degree after Computer Engineering

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone, this year i'll get my Bachelor Degree in Computer Engineering, i have some doubts about the master course to get; actually my university offers these courses in accordance with my Bachelor Degree: (i'll write only those who catched my interest)

- Computer Engineering : Industrial Automation
    - Electronics Engineering : Space Communications and Sensing
    - Electronics Engineering : Photonics
    - Electronics Engineering : MicroElectronics

I really like electronics, and physics, but even astronomy and space-related things, so i was thinking about the Space communications and Sensing curriculum, but since this curriculum is new and still no list of courses is available (it was introduced this year) I wanted to ask some information about this career.

My doubts are :

1) Does this course prepares "Electronics Engineers for Space Technologies" ?
    2) Can I write on curriculum "Space Technologies Engineer" or "Space Engineer" for job opportunities ?
    3) Is a remote sensing expert a physicist ?

Thanks and Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

1. I have done some work for space-based systems, and in my experience all the electronics engineers involved have standard electronics engineering backgrounds. The scientists specialized in astronomy or physics. It's very difficult to evaluate a program without a course list but beware of learning a little about a lot... much better in a master's course to learn a lot about a little.

2. I don't understand this question.

3. I imagine there is a strong need for physicists, engineers, geologists, mathematicians, and more in a remote sensing activity.

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3
    While "Space Communications and Sensing" sounds cool, I would say the safest choice career wise is either Photonics or MicroElectronics.

That being said I have no idea what the program is that they're providing you, but I would imagine the photonics stream would be somewhat similar to the Space Communications and sensing stream though the photonics stream would provide more opportunities at the end of your degree. These opportunities include many astronomical applications such as photonic chips and things like that which will significantly effect the design of telescopes and the mechanisms in which they work.

Sticking with the photonics degree would provide you a lot more opportunities at the end of the degree compared to the other choices.

If you are developing new remote sensing techniques then I guess that falls under being a physicist.

As far as what you can write on your CV, you would have to write exactly what the course says, "Space Communications Engineer".

I hope it's not too late and you are still deciding, you should really go and talk to all of the academics involved to get them to spell out the differences between each degree.

The last thing you want is to get stuck in a degree you hate because there was no information provided.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook