Doubts about a master degree after Computer Engineering

In summary, the person is getting a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering and has some doubts about a Master's program in Space Communications and Sensing. The person wonders if the course will prepare them for working in space-based systems and if being a physicist is a prerequisite for this field. The person also asks whether a Remote Sensing Expert is a physicist and if so, what qualifications they would need. The person concludes with a suggestion to talk to the academics involved to get a better idea of what the program entails.
nebbione
Hi everyone, this year i'll get my Bachelor Degree in Computer Engineering, i have some doubts about the master course to get; actually my university offers these courses in accordance with my Bachelor Degree: (i'll write only those who catched my interest)

- Computer Engineering : Industrial Automation
- Electronics Engineering : Space Communications and Sensing
- Electronics Engineering : Photonics
- Electronics Engineering : MicroElectronics

I really like electronics, and physics, but even astronomy and space-related things, so i was thinking about the Space communications and Sensing curriculum, but since this curriculum is new and still no list of courses is available (it was introduced this year) I wanted to ask some information about this career.

My doubts are :

1) Does this course prepares "Electronics Engineers for Space Technologies" ?
2) Can I write on curriculum "Space Technologies Engineer" or "Space Engineer" for job opportunities ?
3) Is a remote sensing expert a physicist ?

Thanks and Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
1. I have done some work for space-based systems, and in my experience all the electronics engineers involved have standard electronics engineering backgrounds. The scientists specialized in astronomy or physics. It's very difficult to evaluate a program without a course list but beware of learning a little about a lot... much better in a master's course to learn a lot about a little.

2. I don't understand this question.

3. I imagine there is a strong need for physicists, engineers, geologists, mathematicians, and more in a remote sensing activity.

While "Space Communications and Sensing" sounds cool, I would say the safest choice career wise is either Photonics or MicroElectronics.

That being said I have no idea what the program is that they're providing you, but I would imagine the photonics stream would be somewhat similar to the Space Communications and sensing stream though the photonics stream would provide more opportunities at the end of your degree. These opportunities include many astronomical applications such as photonic chips and things like that which will significantly effect the design of telescopes and the mechanisms in which they work.

Sticking with the photonics degree would provide you a lot more opportunities at the end of the degree compared to the other choices.

If you are developing new remote sensing techniques then I guess that falls under being a physicist.

As far as what you can write on your CV, you would have to write exactly what the course says, "Space Communications Engineer".

I hope it's not too late and you are still deciding, you should really go and talk to all of the academics involved to get them to spell out the differences between each degree.

The last thing you want is to get stuck in a degree you hate because there was no information provided.

What is the difference between a master's degree and a bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering?

A master's degree in Computer Engineering typically requires more advanced coursework and a research component, while a bachelor's degree focuses on foundational knowledge and some hands-on experience.

Will a master's degree in Computer Engineering help me advance in my career?

Yes, a master's degree can provide advanced knowledge and skills that can help you stand out in the job market and qualify for higher-level positions.

Is a master's degree in Computer Engineering necessary for a successful career in the field?

No, a master's degree is not necessary for a successful career in Computer Engineering. Many professionals have successful careers with only a bachelor's degree, but a master's degree can provide additional opportunities for growth and advancement.

Can I pursue a master's degree in Computer Engineering if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, many graduate programs in Computer Engineering accept students with diverse undergraduate backgrounds. However, you may need to take additional prerequisite courses to catch up on foundational knowledge.

What job opportunities are available with a master's degree in Computer Engineering?

A master's degree in Computer Engineering can open up a wide range of job opportunities, such as software engineer, systems analyst, data scientist, or research scientist. It can also lead to higher salaries and managerial positions.