Light Propagation: Doubts Answered Here

In summary: This is actually what I'm not understanding .Why it should go in forward direction,it is not obvious to me as is to some of my... friends.
Ibix said:
Oddly, no.

The front wall is brightened due to aberration, true, but it is also running away from the source so is dimmed due to the inverse square law. The rear wall is dimmed due to aberration, but is rushing towards the source so is brightened due to the inverse square law. The net effect is the same for front and back wall - as it must be since the total energy absorbed by both walls must be the same since it's trivially the same in the rest frame.
Nice explanation but still there are 2 points;
1) Are those two opposing effects, aberration and the inverse square law, exactly compensated? I am not familiar with the first.
2) Coming to the source, if the ground watcher draws a line between the filament of the lamp and the point where the light gets out of the lamp at 6 o`clock. This line is vertical relative to the rest frame of the lamp but oblique in the direction of the motion for him. He must see half of the light rays exits to right side of that line (in the direction of motion in the x-axis). But this would also mean the light rays must appear to him, aberrated in this direction, if aberrated means condensed as emerged from the filament. This is because the vertical line for the rest frame is an oblique steep one for him. If so, what caused this strange behavior from the source?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adel Makram said:
1) Are those two opposing effects, aberration and the inverse square law, exactly compensated? I am not familiar with the first.
For the case where whatever we are illuminating is perpendicular to the direction of motion, yes. If it's not perpendicular then length contraction comes into play too and brightness may vary.
Adel Makram said:
2) Coming to the source, if the ground watcher draws a line between the filament of the lamp and the point where the light gets out of the lamp at 6 o`clock. This line is vertical relative to the rest frame of the lamp but oblique in the direction of the motion for him. He must see half of the light rays exits to right side of that line (in the direction of motion in the x-axis). But this would also mean the light rays must appear to him, aberrated in this direction, if aberrated means condensed as emerged from the filament. This is because the vertical line for the rest frame is an oblique steep one for him. If so, what caused this strange behavior from the source?
"Aberration" in this context just means that frames don't agree on angles in general. As to why the source behaves as it does, you'd have to go into quantum electrodynamics for a complete explanation of why moving atoms preferentially emit forwards. I'm not qualified to do that, I'm afraid. I did give a qualitative explanation of why a laser must behave like this in post #20.

I think most of the respondents missed the meaning of the original question. The question was about a laser beam.

If we think of that beam coming straight down then it will also be perpendicular to the object passing below at the point that it strikes. It's speed is of course c.

This is very different from describing light as pulses and equating the pulses to oobjects or balls.

JulianM said:
It's speed is of course c.
Careful. What is the speed of the beam? You can talk about the speed of a wavefront, or the speed of some particular modulated pulse. In the frame where the rocket is moving, those are traveling at c on the diagonal. But if you are saying the beam is not traveling diagonally then it can't be doing c...

I think the point you are trying to make is that you can build a long straight tube out of the side of the rocket. It is perpendicular to the rocket's axis in both frames, and both frames would see the laser traveling straight along it. This is true.

But the two frames' explanations for why this should be so are very different. The rocket frame sees light emitted perpendicular to the rocket. The lab frame sees light emitted diagonally, "coincidentally" leaning exactly far enough forward that the forward component of its velocity "happens" to equal the rocket's velocity. It's not really just a coincidence, of course. It's the principle of relativity at work.

JulianM said:
I think most of the respondents missed the meaning of the original question. The question was about a laser beam.
No, we willingly ignored that part (and clearly stated this) as using a continuous beam is an unnecessary complication and the typical question at B level is actually not about the beam as an object.

The beam will be orthogonal to the rocket in both frames but the speed of the beam itself will be v, not c. Individual wave packets in the beam are traveling at c, but those are equivalent to the light pulses. If the beam is not continuous, but started at some point, the front of the beam will travel diagonally downwards with speed c.

Edit: Ibix got to it first.

A thread derail has been deleted and the thread is reopened

Ibix said:
"Aberration" in this context just means that frames don't agree on angles in general. As to why the source behaves as it does, you'd have to go into quantum electrodynamics for a complete explanation of why moving atoms preferentially emit forwards. I'm not qualified to do that, I'm afraid. I did give a qualitative explanation of why a laser must behave like this in post #20.
I think I might have explanation of "why moving atoms preferentially emit forwards" without the help of quantum theory.
This is because if we suppose the filament is formed of multiple small elements, then firing the light by the rear element should be seen first before the near element by the ground watcher. This causes constructive interference with angle in the direction of the motion.
see a similar concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phased_array_ultrasonics

Aberration can increase or decrease apparent brightness over and above any Doppler effect. Moving towards a light source which emits spherically symmetrically, aberration concentrates more of the solid angle of emission towards the line of relative motion. Blueshift adds to this effect, leading to extreme brightening, called relativistic beaming. The reverse happens moving away from spherically symmetric light source, so that any light source you are directly moving away from sufficiently fast becomes undetectable in practice. Since I am only discussing inertial motion. this has nothing to do with a Rindler horizon.

The impact of aberration on observed intensity is a very well known phenomenon in astronomy.

PAllen said:
Aberration can increase or decrease apparent brightness over and above any Doppler effect. Moving towards a light source which emits spherically symmetrically, aberration concentrates more of the solid angle of emission towards the line of relative motion.
So, if my explanation of the aberration concentrated beam, 3 posts back, is right, what makes it is still valid for a hypothetically single source element, say one atom radiating light?

I hope my consideration is answered before the thread is closed for moderation.

Adel Makram said:
I hope my consideration is answered before the thread is closed for moderation.
Which post should I look at? You didn't give a link or a post number.

PAllen said:
Which post should I look at? You didn't give a link or a post number.
42 and 46

[Moderator's Note: Several posts were deleted after this post was made, so the post numbers above are no longer correct.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Adel Makram said:
42 and 46
I don't see #42 as much related to aberration. Aberration does not involve interference; it is, if you will, a geometric optics phenomenon, or, more generally, just a question of how Lorentz transform affects angles.

Thread closed for moderation.

Edit: The thread has run its course and will remain closed.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
<h2>What is light propagation?</h2><p>Light propagation refers to the way in which light travels through a medium, such as air or water. It is the process by which light energy is transmitted from one point to another.</p><h2>What factors affect light propagation?</h2><p>The speed and direction of light propagation can be influenced by several factors, including the density and composition of the medium, as well as the wavelength and intensity of the light itself.</p><h2>How does light propagate through different mediums?</h2><p>Light can propagate through different mediums by either being absorbed, scattered, or transmitted. The way in which light interacts with a medium depends on the properties of the medium and the wavelength of the light.</p><h2>What is the speed of light propagation?</h2><p>The speed of light propagation varies depending on the medium it is traveling through. In a vacuum, the speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. However, in other mediums, such as water or glass, the speed of light can be slower.</p><h2>Why is understanding light propagation important?</h2><p>Understanding light propagation is crucial in many fields, including optics, telecommunications, and astronomy. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of light, which is essential for the development of new technologies and advancements in scientific research.</p>

What is light propagation?

Light propagation refers to the way in which light travels through a medium, such as air or water. It is the process by which light energy is transmitted from one point to another.

What factors affect light propagation?

The speed and direction of light propagation can be influenced by several factors, including the density and composition of the medium, as well as the wavelength and intensity of the light itself.

How does light propagate through different mediums?

Light can propagate through different mediums by either being absorbed, scattered, or transmitted. The way in which light interacts with a medium depends on the properties of the medium and the wavelength of the light.

What is the speed of light propagation?

The speed of light propagation varies depending on the medium it is traveling through. In a vacuum, the speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. However, in other mediums, such as water or glass, the speed of light can be slower.

Why is understanding light propagation important?

Understanding light propagation is crucial in many fields, including optics, telecommunications, and astronomy. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of light, which is essential for the development of new technologies and advancements in scientific research.