Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doubts about the electron magnetic moment.

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1

According to this page and other sources I found the z-component of the electronic magnetic moment is greater than the classically calculated value due to relativistic effects. Which makes me wonder:

1) What about the x and y components? I am completely lost as to why only the z axis is mentioned. I'm thinking that it is assumed that the axis of rotation of the electronand therefore the moment are aligned in that direction and therefore the x and y comps are 0. Am I right?

2) How are relativistic effects sneaking in here? There isn't anything going really fast, which I thought (perhaps naively) was necessary for them to be relevant.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2

2015 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right. The z axis is chosen to be aligned with the spin.
    To make quantum mechanics compatible with special relativity, you need a different description of electrons - and spin is one result of that different description.
  4. Apr 12, 2014 #3
    Does that different description of electrons happen to be the Dirac equation?
  5. Apr 13, 2014 #4

2015 Award

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted