Doubts regarding Electrical Eng. and Electronics Eng.

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between Electrical Engineering and Electronics Engineering, specifically in terms of their involvement in various fields such as robotics, renewable energies, bioengineering, and IT systems. While Electrical Engineering focuses on the generation and use of electricity, Electronics Engineering places more emphasis on the concept of information and its use in technology. However, the two fields have many similarities and the distinction is not strict. The speaker also mentions their interest in pursuing an engineering degree for the love of science and their desire to contribute to the development of mankind.
PlasmaHawk
Hello, everybody

First some context:
I live in Argentina and I'm a few months away from starting my first year of college. In here they make the distinction between Electrical Engineering and Electronics Engineering (and then there's also Informatics Engineering which I think is the equivalent of Computer Engineering).

I applied for Electrical Engineering since one of the fields I'm interested in the most is electricity and the means to generate it. It also seems to be broad enough for me to keep my options open.

However, I've recently watched a video made by the faculty I enrolled in which talked about the Elecronics Engineering Degree as "one that allows you to get involved in any field of engineering" and then they mention a few of them and the ones that particularly caught my eye were Robotic Devices (which they also related to Electric Vehicles), and the development of Renewable Energies (which all of these I related to Electrical Engineering). They also mentioned its involvement in Bioengineering (which I find it to be really interesting) and IT Systems.

So, I'd really like it if someone could explain to me in which ways are these fields involved with Electronics Engineering and how different would its involvement be compared to Electrical Eng.

A few notes:
I'm positive that I'll find a lot of guidance during my first year and if I ended up switching careers I wouldn't have lost time at all anyways.
It is worth noting that I'm not pursuing an engineering degree with the only purpose of working in something that focuses ONLY in whichever engineering degree I get. I want to study for pure love of science and I want to apply it in a field that contributes to the development of mankind (hence my interest in renewable energies, EVs, Bioengineering and even A.I.). So, I know it's unlikely for me to get involved in ALL of those but it would be nice to have the tools necessary to get involved in any or most of those professionally.

I hope you guys can share with me your knowledge regarding these subjects and perhaps some advice for those that want to.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Comparing the curriculums is a good start, they may only differ by a few papers in years 3 & 4. You may be able to decide later on when you have a better idea of what you like.

A general difference is the concept of information, which is more present in electronics: in electronics you study tensions and current as means to bring and store information, like some kind of data/message.
In electric engineering you have less emphasys on this, and maybe more on how to use energy/power. Its like the difference between the current that runs in your computer or in your house.
then ofc you will have many analogies between them and similar exams, and this distinction between the 2 is not strict

Likes PlasmaHawk

1. What is the difference between Electrical Engineering and Electronics Engineering?

Electrical Engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. It involves the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems, such as power generation, transmission, and distribution. Electronics Engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design and development of electronic circuits, components, and devices, such as computers, communication systems, and consumer electronics. In simple terms, Electrical Engineering deals with large-scale power systems, while Electronics Engineering deals with small-scale electronic devices.

2. Are Electrical Engineering and Electronics Engineering considered the same field?

While both fields deal with the study of electricity and electromagnetism, Electrical Engineering and Electronics Engineering are considered distinct fields. Electrical Engineering is a broader field that encompasses the study of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics, while Electronics Engineering is a more specialized field that focuses solely on electronic circuits and devices.

3. What are the job opportunities for graduates in Electrical Engineering and Electronics Engineering?

Both fields offer a wide range of job opportunities in various industries. Graduates in Electrical Engineering can work in power generation, transmission, and distribution companies, as well as in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and telecommunications. Graduates in Electronics Engineering can work in industries such as consumer electronics, telecommunications, computer hardware, and aerospace.

4. Is a degree in Electrical Engineering or Electronics Engineering more valuable?

Both degrees are valuable and can lead to successful careers. It ultimately depends on an individual's interests and career goals. Electrical Engineering may be a better choice for those interested in large-scale power systems, while Electronics Engineering may be a better choice for those interested in small-scale electronic devices.

5. Can someone with a degree in Electrical Engineering work in the field of Electronics Engineering?

Yes, someone with a degree in Electrical Engineering can work in the field of Electronics Engineering. However, they may need to acquire additional skills and knowledge in electronics to be competitive in this field. Many universities offer courses and programs that allow students to specialize in electronics within their Electrical Engineering degree.