Dr. Tom Cruise says no to psychiatry

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: Matt Cruise seems to think that because he's an actor and he's done well in the industry, that he automatically knows more about psychiatry than anyone else. This is not only ignorant, but it's also arrogant. He's not qualified to offer his opinion on these matters, and he should stop trying to do so. In summary, Matt Cruise went off on a 60 minutes host because he said "so what do you think of people who say scientology is rubbish?" It's clear from the transcript that he doesn't understand the basics of psychiatry or antidepressant medications, and his opinions on the matter are not worth listening to.
I don't think anyone in particular is going to be swayed by a couple minutes of Tom Cruise, actor, throwing out a few not very coherent anti-medication remarks on daytime TV.

Coherent? TV? Audiences? Tom Cruise?

:tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Yah, let him think what he wants but don't try to publicize it.
I think his criticism of Brook Shields was something he should have kept to himself.

What, Cruise is into Scientology? And Katie is learning it? Oh wonderful. What, "oh baby I'll learn it for you". Maybe I just don't have all the story cus' I'm not that interested in their business but why am I not supprised if that's the case she's doing it? Women. What won't they do for their man?

Oh yea, I hate to be one sided:

If the roles were reversed: Let's see, Cruise is a dog like most men (me too): He'd learn enough just to get laid, after that . . . now, what was I talking about?

Last edited:
Ok, I'm sorry for bashing Cruise and I got the gist of the story now from an on-line article on the net:

"Both Hubbard (L. Ron), and Crowley are avowedly anti-psychiatry. "Official psychoanalysis is therefore committed to upholding a fraud... psychoanalysts have misinterpreted life, and announced the absurdity that every human being is essentially an anti-social, criminal, and insane animal" (8) (Crowley). Hubbard considered that psychiatry controlled most of society and was struggling to create their own 1984 world. (9)"

That's why Cruise is against it. End of story.

Quite honestly, I couldn't find a true doctrine of what Scientology is and what their belief systems is, except that some alien named Xenu is a part of it. His loud opinions about what others choose to do with treating their own mental issues however is really none of his business. He needs to respect that others live and belief differently then he, just as he would expect others the same respect.

saltydog said:
What, Cruise is into Scientology? And Katie is learning it? Oh wonderful. What, "oh baby I'll learn it for you". Maybe I just don't have all the story cus' I'm not that interested in their business but why am I not supprised if that's the case she's doing it? Women. What won't they do for their man?

lol as a religious person, that's what pisses me off and makes religious people look bad. My cousin also got a girl who was SUPPOSEDLY so into him and in love and she said "oh yah! ill become catholic just for you! ill do it too!". Her boss later offered her a trip to hawaii and she broke up with my cousin to be with him lickidy split!

Matt: Tom, you seem so knowledgeable about this stuff. Where did you get your medical degree?

Tom: You don't understand psychiatry Matt. You're a glib. But to answer your question I have a degree from the Church of Scientology.

lol your a glib, that's fantastic

"You see Matt, I've learned about psychology. I read 2 books on it"

Pengwuino said:
lol your a glib, that's fantastic

"You see Matt, I've learned about psychology. I read 2 books on it"
"...and they were written by L. Ron Hubbard."