Drag race- avg power output

In summary, the engine's average power output for the top fuel drag racer completing a quarter-mile drag race in 4.3 seconds is calculated using the work-energy theorem. By finding the final energy minus the initial energy, the force exerted by the car can be determined. However, since the acceleration is not constant, the W = Fd method cannot be used. Instead, using the average velocity, the power output can be calculated using the formula P = FV.
agadag

Homework Statement

A top fuel drag racer with a mass of 500.0 kg completes a quarter-mile (402 m) drag race in a time of 4.3 s starting from rest. The car's final speed is 115 m/s. What is the engine's average power output? Neglect friction and air resistance.

Homework Equations

P = W/T

The Attempt at a Solution

P = W/T
W=FD
F=MA =500*26.744 = 13372
..plugged in for W/T ... (13372 * 402 /4.3 )/ 1000
This has not gotten me far!
Please help and explain! THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Using a kinematic equation in the first 4.3 seconds it travels 402m starting from rest, so what is its acceleration? When you get this, what is the force exerted by the car then?

Yes, how did you get that 26.744 m/s^2? I get two different answers for the acceleration depending on whether I use the distance of 402 m in 4.3 s or the final velocity of 115 m/s in 4.3 s. I think that means the acceleration is not constant, and so you can't do the problem using the W = FD method (because the force isn't constant either).

I suggest you start with the P = W/t but instead of W = Fd, use the final energy minus the initial energy for the W.

I got acceleration by vf-v0/2.
However I got the answer. I did P=FV for avg velocity.
Thanks though!

I think a better approach here would be to use the work-energy theorem:

[tex]W=\Delta E_k[/tex]

RoyalCat,
I cannot see the formula u posted. please try it again

I got acceleration by vf-v0/2.
That doesn't make sense; it gives an average velocity but not an acceleration. Wrong units for one thing.

RoyalCat's formula says W = final energy - initial energy
and is the same thing I suggested earlier.

Sorry, my typo, I meant to say i got avg velocity by using the above equation. I got acceleration by using vf - vo/t. Using that info, i plugged it into P = FV (avg V)

What is "drag race- avg power output"?

"Drag race- avg power output" refers to the average amount of power output generated by a vehicle during a drag race. This measurement is typically taken over a specific distance or time period.

How is "drag race- avg power output" measured?

The most common way to measure "drag race- avg power output" is by using a dynamometer, which is a device that measures torque and rotational speed to calculate power output. Some race tracks may also have specific equipment to measure power output during a drag race.

What factors can affect "drag race- avg power output"?

Several factors can impact the average power output of a vehicle during a drag race, including the vehicle's engine size, weight, tires, aerodynamics, and weather conditions. The skill of the driver and the quality of the track can also play a role.

Why is "drag race- avg power output" important?

The average power output of a vehicle can give insight into its overall performance during a drag race. It can also be used as a benchmark for comparison with other vehicles and can help determine areas for improvement in terms of engine power and efficiency.

Can "drag race- avg power output" be improved?

Yes, there are various ways to improve the average power output of a vehicle during a drag race. This can include modifications to the engine, exhaust, and other components, as well as fine-tuning the vehicle's setup and optimizing driving techniques.