1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Draw a circle. Now pick two points (A,B) on the periphery of that

1. Aug 28, 2008 #1
    Draw a circle. Now pick two points (A,B) on the periphery of that circle, so that a line between A and B will have to pass through the center of the circle. The line AB is, in other words, the diameter of the circle.

Now, pick a point C anywhere on the periphery of the circle. Prove that in any such triangle ABC, angle C is 90 degrees.

--

I have no idea. At first I was even reluctant to agree that C is always 90 degrees, but making random points on a circle seem to confirm this.

The best I can come up with is that if I draw a normal from point C to AB, then that normal will always make 90 degree angles, so both "split-triangles" must be similar and so the original ABC must be similar as well, and contain a 90 degree angle.

I don't think that constitutes a proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: Proof

Put O as the centre of the circle and draw in the line OC. Noting that OC is a radius,as well as OA and OB. Put angle OAC=a and OBC=b. Now just use some simple triangle properties and you should get it.

4. Aug 28, 2008 #3

I think that since OC and AC are both R long, angle ACO must be equal to angle A.
    And for the same reason, angle BCO must equal B.

Which means angle C should be A+B.

A+B+C = 180
    A+B+(A+B) = 180
    2(A+B) = 180
    A+B = 90
    C = 90

That seems to work. Thanks a lot rock.freak, I don't think I would ever have thought to split the triangle between C and O, since the new ones seem so random :)

k

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is a fairly well know theorem that an angle with vertex lying on a circle has angle equal to 1/2 the arc it subtends. If the two points are ends of a diameter, then the arc is subtends is 1/2 a circle, 180 degrees, so the angle is 90 degrees.

6. Aug 28, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi kenewbie and HallsofIvy! :smile:

Yes … the method of proof is exactly the same, plus exterior angle of triangle = sum of the two opposite angles. :wink:

7. Aug 28, 2008 #6

Ivy, ok. I've never learned that, perhaps it comes later.

Now I know why :)

k

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?